Resolved Pegasus Nas

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macman45, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Macman45, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have finally decided to upgrade my NAS, speed becoming more important than it previously was. Gone for the four bay Pegasus with four 1TB drives per bay. This will be connected to my iMac via Thunderbolt cable making my present stuff redundant, and will go to a buddy.

The lead time on delivery? 30th May....Great I'm not in a rush. Going to be super organised this time with one drive dedicated totally to a particular aspect of my work.. (Three required for that, and one for my iTunes and entertainment stuff)

I have read the reports, good and bad, but seems to be the best solution for me discount wasn't really a consideration but it sure helps!

Anybody have any good / bad reports?

2. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Strange thing is, Apple's shipping date is MAy 30th, although the same Pegasus setup is available elsewhere....Should have asked my sales guru when I ordered, but I wash;t in a rush, and a couple of months gives my CC time to cool down after iPad3 ATV etc. But I wonder if the new stock is updated / improved? Seems unusual that they would have such a long lead time?

3. mac26 macrumors 6502

If you really NEED it right now I would do some poking around, other wise just wait 2 months, let your wallet cool down and you might forget about it and end up surprised when the UPS/ Fed-ex man comes with a big box.

I think the reason it is taking 1-2 months is because it is a product that almost nobody buys because most people need TB unlike you (because of your work necessities) and so Apple just doesn't keep it in stock because other products have more demand. I wouldn't worry about this, your wallet will be happy you waited ;).

Psst: I would suggest putting 3 of the HDD into a RAID setup for your work stuff and the last HDD for your entertainment (iTunes, etc.)

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I wouldn't classify the Promise Pegasus R4 as a NAS. It is really a direct attached drive.

Direct attached drives and NAS have two different purposes. I primarily wanted a direct attached drive, so I went with the Pegasus R4. If I desire, I can choose to share it on my network through my Mac.

/Jim

5. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's pretty much the plan, and I can wait as I have another four drive solution in place at the moment. Other thing I should have said wsnthatbits only the four bay models they don't have....All the larger ones are in stock.