Pegasus R4 config inquiries

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ThirteenXIII, May 9, 2013.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Recently picked up a pegasus r4 after much review and input from forum members, thanks alot!

So far so good, it did take about 24 hours for it to do a full synch but transfer have been insanely fast.

A couple questions;
    1) currently it is set-up out of the box as RAID5 which is OKAY with me, 3TB is good for now until prices come down on 2TB drives (western digitals), but is there anything to keep the system optimal or should I configure it differently then out of the box? So as of now..I made no adjustments or configurations to it.

2) Is renaming the Pegasus drive in finder as easy as it is for any other external drive? I dont want to muck up permissions or cause a problem between the pegasus/pegasus utility and the Mac...so double clicking the name on the desktop and renaming it from PROMISE PEGASUS to RAID Disk that easy?

any other tips are welcome.
    thanks again!

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

1) I would recommend that you only use specific drives specified by Promise. Mine shipped with Hitachi DataStar HDDs which at the time of purchase, was the only supported drive. You should use enterprise class drives because of advanced features such as command queue depth etc that can otherwise trip up HW RAID controllers.

2) Yes... rename it at will. No issues.

/Jim

3. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks flynz, youre definitely in the same threads I've been looking at. so good info being chimed in.

Is your R4 still stock? did you upgrade the drives at all? are you using RAID5?

The drives I have are Toshbia/Hitachi (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145304) they seem like run of the mill consumer drives.

I was thinking of getting 4x these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136792

The Caviar Black series seem to be up to snuff with the specifications of the drives used in the R4....

Thanks!

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Mine is still stock... but I bought the 8TB version. If you look on the Promise Pegasus documentation online... they have an explicit list of supported drives. My strong recommendation is to restrict your choices to that list. The Pegasus has a HW RAID controller (made by PMC-Sierra)... and these are generally tested with specific drives. The HW raid controllers contribute a lot to their robustness... and performance.

I run mine as RAID-10. Striped + Mirrored. It gives me 4TB capacity (instead of 6)... but is generally considered more robust.

/Jim

5. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds good thanks.

What are your fans running at? mine are currently 1100rpm which is fairly audible, stats >800RPM is healthy

The only other item is unmounting/ejecting. I know in the utility you can shut it down and all that but do you need to unmount it first from finder then shut it down? or is there a proper way to handle that. kind of vague.

thanks.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I won't be at my computer for a couple of more days... so I cannot answer the fan question. In fact... I've never checked... other than to see the control panel was "all green".

Mine is attached to an iMac which is on 24/7... so I never really shut it down. When I was testing it with my MBA (before I had an iMac with TB)... I had to be careful to eject before disconnecting the TB cable. Now, the TB cable is just permanently connected. Other than the original testing and setup... I've never shut it down other than automatically with a reboot of my iMac.

/Jim

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

you first have to eject the Pegasus drive then shut down from the Pegasus Utility console.

The temperature sensors could be picking up ambient heat to make the fan speed kick on. it depends on where the pegasus is located also.

keep it well ventilated and in area that doesnt block the fans.