Pegasus R4 DIY Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macman45, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Okay, scenario is that I currently have 4 nearly new 1TB HDD's in my R4, and it's getting full. My original plan was to sell the 4X1's ( I'm trying to) and add 4X2TB giving me an 8TB system.

BUT.....I know that this can be done with the R4 as I have spoken to their sales team who even told me to "buy enterprise from somebody else...not us" So I duly sourced HGST ( Hitachi if you prefer or sadly Seagate, cause that's who owns them now) at £106 each...not too bad I thought until I started looking around and discovered 3TB HGST still the same 64MB cache, still the same SATA 111 interface for £90.00 each.

Now on the face of it, it would seem to be a no brainer...I KNOW the controller will run with 4TB drives in it so my question is has anybody tried upgrading their unit with 3TB drives?

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

If the controller can run up to 4 TB. then what are you afraid of. :p

I'll have 2x2 TB. and 2x3 TB. but I don't have the Pegasus though. :)

3. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, theory says yes, but the NVRAM controllers are fussy, so before I buy 4 3TB's I need to know somebody who's done it.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Documentation?

5. Giuly, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  6. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thank you, that's all I wanted to know...I can source WD's cheaply...now all I need is for somebody to buy my 4X1TB Hdd's..:)

7. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Which are incidentally available on the Marketplace here..:D

8. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

After a little more research as something in the back of my mind was telling me that the Red's won't work....Turns out that although they are 7200 capable, they have intelispin technology which will work fine with a NAS setup, but will confuse the heck out of the controller in the R4....Back to blacks I'm afraid.