Pegasus R4/R6 vs LaCie Big 5 TB2?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by colorspace, Nov 19, 2014.

1. colorspace macrumors 6502

The new version of the LaCie finally had HW Raid in the TB2 enclosure which seems to put it squarely in competition with the Pegasus R line.

I need to make a recommendation for folks doing some high CPU and I/O computation on new MPs. Anyone have a chance to play with both of these yet? Interested in ease of setup and configuration, I/O performance and reliability.

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

While I haven't gotten to play with this new LaCie, some people I've had to support in my office use the older version for high I/O computation and have had a lot of troubles with them. Like you said though the new model has HW RAID in the enclosure so that might help.

We have one person using the Pegasus R6 with the Mac Pro and have had no problems with it yet.

3. mintakax macrumors regular

I have the R6 and a nMP, my wife has two new TB2 LaCies on her 5K iMac. I'm running Mavericks, she's running Yosemite. Its hard to compare the two systems, but I can say I have had no problems with the R6. Her Lacie drives seem pretty slow to wake up, but that could be an OS setting she has not yet optimized.

4. colorspace thread starter macrumors 6502

1. So other than waking up what is performance like on the Lacie (I'm assuming it has all bays filled).

2. Also how are your RAIDS configured on the Pegasus and the LaCie?

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

I have a LaCie 5Big TB2 - Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1732203

6. colorspace thread starter macrumors 6502

They decided to go with the new LaCie TB2... can't wait to get it so I can do a bit'o testing!

7. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

I was in the same situation. Looked at them all. OWC, Lacie and PegasusR4. I'd recommend Caldigit. Hadn't heard of them before but so glad I found em. I ended getting their 3 bay enclosure but they just released their 4 bay enclosure. Nothing comes close to their built quality and price. All aluminum. It's as if Apple made it themselves. Comes with a 5 year warranty. The only downside is if you replace the drives yourself, you void the warranty. You have to buy new drives if needed thru them to maintain it. Mine came with Toshibas which were fast. On a single drive it clocked 180mb per sec. I ended up saving some extra money and put in 6tb HGST Desktars myself :p

http://www.caldigit.com/T4/index_TBT2.asp

8. colorspace thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks interesting -- price does not seem bad either considering the construction... same as Lacie for a 20TB option (but 4X5TB instead of 5X4TB).

The not being able to service it without violating the warranty is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I'd need to be able to get this up and running ASAP and would have the drives on hand to do so... having to send it back to CalDig is a non-starter.