Pegasus R4 Software Utility

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macman45, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Macman45, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have a new Pegasus R4, and have finally got it setup as I want it. My question is that having set a schedule for Media Patrol and redundancy checks on a monthly basis, It's necessary to have the R4's software running all the time to pick up the scheduling settings.

I don't really want the utility running all the time, and was wondering if there is a script I could use to activate it on the day these checks are due (28th of each month) That way, I can leave the interface closed until it's needed. I did notice that even when closed, it picks up every startup and NVRAM event anyway, so will it start the checks if it's shut?

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

I'm sure you could do an AppleScript or Automator action and have it set to run in iCal. Seems the easiest way to do that.

3. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's what I was thinking, it's just the fact that even when not running, it logs every startup and background event anyway...Nothing in the manual about whether or not the schedule would run with the utility classed though...I doubt it.

4. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

5. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Because in order to run on the schedule, the utility has to be running, as far as I can tell..That's why I posted the question, in order to see if anyone has left it closed and still have Media Patrol and redundancy check run as set in the main screen.

6. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

I always figured itd run from the device it's self. For example the utility doesn't need to be running for it to build the volume when you start the unit up. It's a background process

7. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I like confirmation of this, but it makes sense...If the unit can monitor NVRAM , stat up and shut down without having the interface actually open, then it seems logical to assume it would run the scheduled tasks as well. But since we take nothing for granted, I'd still like to know if anybody can confirm it...:) It wouldn't be a major drama if it skipped a month, but better to ruin those tasks regularly.

8. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

If no one gets back to you by tomorrow / Monday I can check. One of my clients has 8 of the R6 units.

9. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Many thanks! :)

10. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Be sure to report back. Interested to see how deep the background processes roll on Promise. Had my eye on a Pegasus for a while now.

11. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The unit does all it says and more. I have split one drive off my primary array, and the speed is amazing, I use that drive for video work in real time, never misses a beat. I know the are pricey, but worth the money IMO. I guess one of the reasons they are expensive is that they really are aimed at the enterprise market.

Lead delivery times are about a month, although mine arrived a couple of weeks earlier than Apples stated time.

I highly recommend the Pegasus, it's a super fast device, and coupled with thunderbolt, untouchable for speed.

12. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

I'm working on the systems now doing some firmware upgrades, so I'll take a look to see if I can figure out if it processes without the utility open.

I do wish the utility was a bit different as we have many of these units and when I launch the utility half the time it locks up trying to poll them all.

13. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thanks for the update.:)

14. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

I've scheduled a task to run tonight at 9PM so in 12 minutes, I shall update you if it works. I've quit the Promise Utility

Attached Files:

15. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

I've confirmed WITHOUT the utility running it will NOT run scheduled tasks. I set one up at 9PM to check the redundant drive and it did not run. I setup another for 10PM with the utility open and it did run.

16. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thanks Ricky...I was afraid of that...Seems a little dumb that the firmware cam't take care of these tasks...Maybe in am update?

Thanks for all the help!..

Jeff

17. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

The most logical sense to me would of been if they made it run as some type of "cron". I understand that these boxes are basically a SAN so the device they're connected to handles all that kind of stuff. But if you have to leave this buggy utility open 24/7 that's just plain stupid. If they made it so you can schedule stuff from the GUI and have it run as a system process in the background or something.

18. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, I'm just going to remember to run the two important utilities manually...Not going to leave the utility open all the time...I's buggy too, I now have the pegasus acting as my TM's main backup, which works fine, so Apple seem to have ironed out the bugs there. A backup that would gave taken all night was completed in 19 minuet...Pretty impressed with the speed!