Pegasus R6 12TB or R8 24TB 4K Editing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ray&Paula, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Ray&Paula macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm about to purchase the following maxed out iMac 5K. Would like to know your thoughts on either the Pegasus R6 12TB and the Pegasus R8 24TB RAID system for 1080 and 4K editing? http://www.promise.com/Products/Pegasus/Pegasus2 I'm not editing in RAW or RED. Any thoughts and/or suggestions on these or any other Thunderbolt 2 RAID systems would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray
    Hardware:
    4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
    1TB Flash Drive (SSD)
    AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5

Software:
    Final Cut Pro X
    Motion 5
    Compressor

2. chogue23 macrumors member

Unless you were dealing with files that were over 500GB, either of those would be overkill. You would just want a file server that could host your cuts that you weren't using at the moment and could provide a RAID 0+1 array so you have the massive storage but also the redundancy. If you were working with larger files, then you would want a Mac Pro with more cores because the iMac only has four. You would want something with 8 or 12 cores to process all that data faster. I personally would lean toward a 2012 mac pro because you could have 4x 4TB internal hard drives and up to 64GB Ram, or if you really wanted, multiple SSDs. You could then connect to a SAS array or server from that.

3. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info...... Certainly something to take into consideration. Thanks again, Ray