Pegasus2 R4 SSDs for RAID, and Samsung 840 Evo SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by broadleaf, Jun 20, 2014.

1. broadleaf macrumors newbie

Has anyone had any luck using Samsung Evo SSD drives with diskless Pegasus R4 SSDs?

2. broadleaf thread starter macrumors newbie

Results of Promise Pegasus Diskless Samsung SSD Instralls

For those interested, I was able to use 4 Samsung EVO 250GB SSD on with Promise Pegasus2 Diskless 4 bay. It is set up using Raid 5. The Samsung drives did not come with any screws and those supplied by Promise Pegasus were not the right thread.

I trucked down to my local hardware and got the right screws, flathead, philipps, not raised or button shaped.

I don't have any benchmark software, but the drives and transfer are very very fast (to me, I'm coming from Firewire) and very very quiet.

The enclosure is surprisingly quiet , very very mild hum, and I have not heard the fans kicking on at all. I am very sensitive to background noise and this was a big worry for me. The ssds, of course, are silent ;-)

Hope this helps someone. Your mileage may vary.

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Thanks for sharing your experience here. Valuable information.

If you desire a simple "benchmark" program, you might try the Black Magic Design "Disk Speed Test" available for free from the App Store. While, perhaps not the best overall benchmark test, it is widely used on these forums for basic comparisons since it is readily available to everyone. It was designed to demonstrate video transfer capabilities using large sequential files, so it doesn't show random file performance more important to SSD drives. But ... its wide use here makes it a good starting point for comparisons between systems used by various forum members.

4. broadleaf thread starter macrumors newbie

SSDs, Pegasus TB Diskless

The latest reviews in the app store shows folks seem to be having issues with Black Magic, but I suspect they'll fix whatever bugs there are shortly enough with it.

One thing I've been told is I need a program called TRIM for my SSDS (I'm new to this idea) but I'm under the impression you don't run TRIM on a RAID setup.

I was advised to periodically wipe all the drives in the array and then re-copy the data from it back to the array.