Pegasus2 R8 & 8TB drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pjlover, Mar 28, 2015.

1. pjlover macrumors newbie

Just a heads up to the community (though I do really hope I'm wrong): so far as my testing goes, I can't get the Pegasus2 R8 to recognize the new Seagate 8TB Archive drives (ST8000AS002). The array is set up as JBOD with OpenZFS on top, but the Pegasus Utility crashes once I add an 8TB drive into the mix. 6TB HGST drives work fine, from what I can tell, but I tried two different Seagate 8TB drives, and both had the same outcome. Going back to earlier 4TB or 6TB HGST drives worked fine, though. It's especially odd because the array comes with Seagate drives.

Any thoughts on something I might be missing?

2. eljonco, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015

eljonco macrumors newbie

Did you try with the 8TB as only drive? It will show up as non-redundant, but it will at least give an idication of the R8 recognising the 8TB. If you have 2 drives: did you try RAID5? I could imagine a JBOD is more involved than 'regular' RAID5. I'm contemplating a similar (not Pegasus 2, just Pegasus R6) conversion so please do keep us posted.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

According to the latest compatibility list, only drives up to 4 TB are officially supported.

http://www.promise.com/Download.aspx?DownloadFileUID=1805

4. Ryanwills macrumors newbie

5. Ryanwills macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Did you manage to get the 8TB Seagate hdd to work in the promise Pegasus r8?

Ryan

6. LeeFB macrumors newbie

So I just got the Pegasus2 unit from another department in my company and they told me that it had been dropped. I accepted it on the hope that I could fix the unit, after some troubleshooting I discovered that the motherboard needs to be replaced. Contacted their help desk and they would not help, stated that they only sold the complete unit, and would not point me in the right direction to purchase a new motherboard for it. Does anyone know where I can purchase a motherboard for the Pegasus2 R8?

Thanks

7. Kris Kelvin macrumors regular

I can report that the Promise Pegasus R4 (first version, 4 drive bays) with firmware 5.04.0000.61 is compatible with Toshiba's 8TB N300 disks (Model "TOSHIBA HDWN180"). The drives worked out of the box; SMART values are properly reported in the Promise Utility.

Initial synchronization for a RAID5 (32TB, 24TB usable) took 36 hours.
    Noise and temperature are within acceptable ranges.
    Performance of a single drive in the Pegasus: 230MB/s read, 180MB/s write
    Performance of a RAID5 (4 drives): 420MB/s read, 640MB/s write

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 17.49.58.png Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 17.51.19.png