Pegasus2 with Unsupported Drives ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mythos, Jan 15, 2014.

1. mythos macrumors member

I have a diskless Pegasus2 R4 on it's way, to use with a nMP I have on order, and I'd like to invest in some drives for it other than the ones Promise list in their compatibility list v1.1

Does anybody know what's behind such a limited choice in the official compatibility list ?

Anybody with experience good or bad with other drives, and if so, which ?

I'd like to use 2TB WD Black drives, or possibly enterprise drives.
    - main use is for audio, with some 1080p and 2k video.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Higher end RAID controllers often expect certain behavior from the drives (command queue depth, QOS, Maximum latency, etc). If you go off the compatible list... it may work, or it may give you undetected errors.

Personally, I buy from the compatibility list.

Also note, that very large capacity drives can be a liability with RAID. The rebuild times can take VERY long times if there is a failure.

/Jim

3. mythos thread starter macrumors member

Hmm... thanks Jim... thought it was something like that.

I'm going with 4 x 2TB rather than larger for the reason you mention.

4. g4cube macrumors 6502a

If a firmware version is specified, that also is important.

Sometimes bare drives are available in the channel that may have different firmware than retail or distribution drives might have. This may be due to drives that may have been rejected by a particular OEM.

Firmware can usually be upgraded, but not always. And FW may not be able to address all hardware related issues.

Promise might meet spec using certain drives only. When "any" drive is used, you may be surprised with unusual results.

Most people don't have the skills to thoroughly select an appropriate substitute drive. Witness the issues some people have with simple USB drives that don't sleep or wake properly.

5. mythos thread starter macrumors member

6. matoch macrumors member

It's nice to see they no longer single out the diskless version of the r4.

7. spaz8 macrumors 6502

That is for the Pegasus v1 r4.. Btw... Not the pegasus2. The diskless was never singled out on the p1 list, if there was one for the Pegasus v1. Hopefully the Pegasus 2 comparability list gets a refresh soon too.