Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2018
I like to take my iPad camping with me, and to work with me once in a while, when I know I’m going to have a slow day. Well with the cases of the new iPad bending after be transported in a backpack (not looking to debate that here), I thought maybe I should get something better than just a backpack to carry it in. So I picked up a pelican case from amazon. $55 but ultimate piece of mind. iPad fits like a glove. Think I ordered one a little to big for my 11”, but have plenty of room for the charger, the cord, and some extra padding. The way it worked out, removing enough of the squares to fit the iPad without forcing it in, left some room for the iPad to wiggle, so I cut one of the removed squares into quarters and used them as a bumper, 2 in the sides, and 1 for the top. No movement now, except it will flop out of place when the pelican case is held vertical, but with all the padding, it shouldn’t be a problem. Used a hot glue gun to attach the bumpers, and to glue down the foam to the bottom foam, and to the sides of the pelican case so that it stays put. Have to clean up the extra glue a little. But it looks like it will work out. Made a make shift handle out of paracord, as I didn’t like the included shoulder strap. Even thought the case is bigger, it still slides easily in and out of my back pack.
880891F5-11AA-47CF-8E04-258F7965C1FF.jpeg
43AC23AF-C517-4785-844E-1CAA749003FB.jpeg
A825C2A8-0F59-40FA-B4A7-70EA12AF1CB3.jpeg
2FA858DD-A5C1-497A-93D0-D942D36A6FDE.jpeg

Last edited:

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2018
Well like I said, I like to take my iPad to work with me when I know that it will be a slow day. I work in the construction field. And after the whole bending thing, I feel this will make it to where I don’t have to worry about it. Whenever I take it wherever.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2018
Literally laughed out loud at this case
I find it more amusing that Apples choice to make something so thin using a soft metal has made one feel the need for a case like this for it. To each their own though. Case has practical use for my situation.

This is intense. Are you going to transport by hand or place this case in a bag?
Slides right into my backpack. That’s probably how I will carry it most of the time. Little overboard, I’m sure. It wouldn’t look so crazy if I would of got one smaller, but trying to pick the size out using the internal dimensions and reviews of them was kind of a pain.

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
I like what you've done, can understand the extra protection needed in rugged environments. Would be good if you could include a keyboard that sits where the iPad is now, and move the the iPad to the upper portion of the case. So you could just open the Pelican case and start working away without having to remove and pick up the iPad.

Reactions: Waterman316

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2018
I like what you've done, can understand the extra protection needed in rugged environments. Would be good if you could include a keyboard that sits where the iPad is now, and move the the iPad to the upper portion of the case. So you could just open the Pelican case and start working away without having to remove and pick up the iPad.
I would need a bigger one for that. I don’t use the iPad other than a personal entertainment device really. I don’t have a need for a keyboard. Today is my first day using it, and so far so good. Didn’t have to worry about anything so far.

Reactions: raymanster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.