Pen Drive HFS+ to FAT/NTFS Data Converter- Does this exists?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mia1, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Mia1 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm searching for an Pen Drive HFS+ to FAT/NTFS Data Converter, which allows me to use my external HFS+ HardDisk without any installation on our Windows Office Computers. So, I hope that it exists a Pen Drive File System Data Converter from HFS+ to FAT or NTFS and of course vice versa. It would be the only way to exchange our Data (I can't switch on the external Hard Disk to FAT/NTFS)

Thanks
    Mia

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

MacDrive is a simple method of allowing Windows computers to read HFS+ drives, including USB Thumb/Pen drives.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I understand it doesn't work with Windows 7 (yet)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Mia1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Which of these Applications is a Pen Drive Application? ...which is able to be active running, without beeing insalled by our admin.
    Thanks!

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

There is an RC out now http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive8/

@Mia1 - you will need to install some sort of software. I'm guessing that your admins either lock your machines down or monitor them in a way so this will be a problem.

6. Mia1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right- this is a problem- I am simply not able to install anythin on these f(...) Workstation-PCs...
    Thats why I need a Pen Drive Application.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm not sure why would you need a Pen Drive application? Does it connect normally via usb or what?

If you are saying you can't install the MacDrive (or similar) on the PC, then how would you install a Pen Drive app?

8. Mia1 thread starter macrumors newbie

ouu, well- may be I've chosen not the equivalent expression- we call it "Pen Drive" Application, which does not necessarily need to be installed in the PC-system, but run only out of an e.g. usb-memory-stick (like "FreeMind").

So I am searching an application which can be booted from an external Storage device- e.g. an usb-stick (which does not necessarily need to be installed in the PC-system- cause of non-admin rights) and which is able to convert data from HFS+ to FAT/NTFS and vice versa.

Is this more accurate discribed ? :)

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Why even bother? It's far simpler to format the USB stick as FAT32 (after copying files off it, of course), so that both Macs and Windows PCs can use it. This can be done from any Windows PC, or from Disk Utility on the Mac side.

10. Mia1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know that this is by far simpler, but it is not possible- so this is just the background:

External Hard Drive is HFS+ formated (and I can't change) and Computer is Windows XP (without any Admin right for any installation from my side)

Thats why I need an application, which does not need to be installed and can run may be on another external Drive or another partition.

Hope there is an application which is able to handle this background.... IhopeIhopeIhope...

Thanks

11. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Nothing I'm aware of, unless you do something ridiculous like run Linux in a VM and mount / access the HFS+ partition through that.

12. Mia1 thread starter macrumors newbie

:) True... a little unrealistic...

But what do I need to get this result, I need? means, is this completely unrealistic, what I am searching for? or had till now just no programmer the idea to realize this?

It sounds so easy to me (but I am no programmer :) )

13. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

The reason is doesn't exist is because its's cheaper, easier and quicker to copy all of the data off the drive, reformat as FAT32 and put the files back.

You've said you can't change the drive from HFS+ ... but it's pretty rare that somebody "can't" do that.