Penalty for Buying from Non-Apple Store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zerka, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Zerka macrumors member

I was looking to buy a rMBP 15" and I was going to buy it from Fry's (interesting choice, I know, but it's the most convenient for my as I was gonna use my uncle's Fry's membership card and yadda yadda all that rewards stuff). The only concern I have is whether or not this laptop will still come with a warranty? In others words, is buying it from Fry's the same as buying it directly from Apple? I do know that Fry's is an authorized reseller of Apple's products so I might have answered my self, but I just wanted some clarification.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. newellj macrumors 603

I bought my rMBP from Microcenter. Same warranty. Apple's return policy may or may not be better than Fry's, though, if that matters.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

Same Apple warranty for new 3rd-party Mac purchases as for new or refurb Apple Store Mac purchases.

The only possible catch, as I experienced with my last Mac Mall rMBP purchase, was that I had to supply a copy of the receipt via email to Apple in order to get that Mac properly recognized in the My Apple Support web portal - the date of my purchase didn't match that in Apple's database, so they asked for a copy of my receipt. My Apple Store purchases have been automatically added to the web portal. YMMV.

5. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Got ours (late 2013) at a Best Buy and it was a bit cheaper than directly from Apple store. It also came with the usual crap: 6 months of Kaspersky internet security and 6 months of Pogoplug cloud. Not sure if it came with a warranty but i think it did.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was able to score a 13" laptop for a lot less then what apple charges. I made out better, then incurring a penalty ;) This was back before I got a retina laptop but still the fact remains if you can find a deal, jump on it :)

You still can buy Apple care and have the same warranty as if you bought it at an apple store.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

The warranty is tied to the serial number. So long as you buy from an authorized reseller the same warranty applies no matter where you buy it from.

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

It will have the standard 1 year limited warranty, and you'll be able to extend it to 3 years buy buying AppleCare.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're buying a new Mac from any authorized reseller, it will come with Apple's 1 year warranty. The warranty is provided by Apple, not the reseller, and follows the device, not the owner.