Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SynysterShadows

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
So I one day I decided to drive my car and pick up my friend to get something to eat. I came to a stop sign and made my stop, and turned onto the street. I saw that as i turned, a cop also turned onto the street and followed me for a good 15 seconds and finally decided to pull me over. When i asked the cop what i did wrong, he said that i "didnt make a complete stop." If that is the case, why did he take so long to stop me? Isn't it possible that in the time he took to stop me, I could have killed someone?Which led me to believe that he was just thinking of an excuse to pull me over. Is there any way i can use that in court to get some leniency? Then i received a $850 ticket and got my car impounded. Is there any other consequences? And any way i can get some leniency?
Additional Details: I live in California, and drove a 2005 Mustang.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Don't drive without a license. There are enough bad licensed drivers on the road.

If you feel compelled to drive illegally, at least follow the rules of the road and stop at all stop signs.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is there any way i can use that in court to get some leniency? Then i received a $850 ticket and got my car impounded. Is there any other consequences? And any way i can get some leniency?
So you made a decision to drive a car even though you have no license and you're asking not be held responsible for your decision?

we all need to face the consequences of our decisions. You chose to break the law. Can't do the time - then don't do the crime.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So I one day I decided to drive my car and pick up my friend to get something to eat. I came to a stop sign and made my stop, and turned onto the street. I saw that as i turned, a cop also turned onto the street and followed me for a good 15 seconds and finally decided to pull me over. When i asked the cop what i did wrong, he said that i "didnt make a complete stop." If that is the case, why did he take so long to stop me? Isn't it possible that in the time he took to stop me, I could have killed someone?Which led me to believe that he was just thinking of an excuse to pull me over. Is there any way i can use that in court to get some leniency? Then i received a $850 ticket and got my car impounded. Is there any other consequences? And any way i can get some leniency?

"My Car" how old are you? Who gave you the car without the license?
Why didn't you get pulled over right away? Well, given your sense of judgement I wouldn't put money on the whole "I stopped" story at all. You were likely pulled after he called it in and began running your plates. It is not as though 15 seconds is a long time.

If you truly told him you could have killed someone in 15 seconds that was silly. The truth is, you're clearly not of the right mind to drive and since you don't have a license, you clearly should not be driving anyway.

You're not going to find leniency from a judge by telling him it took a whole 15 seconds for the cop to react to you. You have NO idea whether it was truly 15 seconds and like I said, he was likely calling it in.

Then i received a $850 ticket and got my car impounded. Is there any other consequences?
You may not be able to get a license right away now which is similar to suspending a license but since you don't have one, they'll simply suspend your "right" to get one. Which btw, a license is not a right it is a privilege one that you clearly don't deserve. You endangered yourself (who cares), your friend, and everyone else on the road for food. That is ignorant, foolish, and selfish. I only hope the consequences are much much higher and I hope your parents wake up and do something with that car to prevent you from getting your hot little hands on it again.

PS: what is your real MR name? It seems odd that you would sign up on a Mac site to ask a question about the consequences of breaking the law.

oskin

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Life in prison...

But in all honestly, you deserve what was coming to you. I laugh at criminals who speed and got busted for routine traffic stop for 10kg of cocaine in the trunk.

If you have some dirt on you, drive slower like a granny and obey all signs.

On the other hand, if low-level criminals have a brain to figure out all the payoffs, they won't be breaking low-pay off laws.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

At first I assumed you meant you're 16+, have a license, and just left your wallet at home. However, based on the punishment, it sounds like you don't have a license at all.

If it's the former, then some states allow you to show proof later and the charges/fees are waived or lowered, I believe. I know that's a common response to lack of insurance info. If it's the latter, then what a stupid choice and you don't deserve to get 'your' car back.

Also, it took the cop so long to pull you over because he was running your plates to see your history. Enjoy walking. I hear it's good for you.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Which led me to believe that he was just thinking of an excuse to pull me over.

You could always consult a lawyer, but the cop could have been observing your driving after that stop, and it may have been obvious that you were an inexperienced driver. Your argument that you could have killed someone within 15 seconds of that stop won't hold any weight in your favor. Anyway if you did a rolling stop, they can pull you over for that, but most of them are unlikely to bother on that alone.

At first I assumed you meant you're 16+, have a license, and just left your wallet at home. However, based on the punishment, it sounds like you don't have a license at all.

If it's the former, then some states allow you to show proof later and the charges/fees are waived or lowered, I believe. I know that's a common response to lack of insurance info. If it's the latter, then what a stupid choice and you don't deserve to get 'your' car back.

The former is a fix it ticket. It's something in the $10-20 range. They can still issue a ticket for the full offense, but you can just prove that you were legally eligible to drive. This is for California.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
$850 for a stop violation + no license? That seems very steep, something here is missing?

This whole story is fishy IMO for a 1st post from a newbie... trolling I believe...

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
$850 for a stop violation + no license? That seems very steep, something here is missing?

This whole story is fishy IMO for a 1st post from a newbie... trolling I believe...

How does $850 sound too steep for being a minor without a license? He effectively stole a vehicle and took it out unauthorized and illegally.

$850 sounds like a walk in the park to me.

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009

Steep? In Germany you're fine will be individually determined by a judge. Depending on your income it will be at least 1200 Euros. Other than that the judge can impose a 6 month delay for getting your license and extend your 2 year probation period to 4 years. More importantly though the owner of the car (and since you can't have a car on the road in Germany without a driving license this is probably gonna be the parents) could get in trouble too.

And I'm not even sure that's too steep. I mean there is a reason we have a driving license.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
How does $850 sound too steep for being a minor without a license? He effectively stole a vehicle and took it out unauthorized and illegally. $850 sounds like a walk in the park to me.
Sure, a 'walk in the park' his/her parents have $850 laying around to pay immediately because everyone is rich and don't care paying such a high fee for their kids stupidity so that they can get their car and kid back... :rolleyes:

...And I'm not even sure that's too steep. I mean there is a reason we have a driving license.
The TS is a kid so no income...

If the story is real which it isn't; the TS goes to court and probably can get most of the charges dismissed or reduce it to an infraction and pay a smaller fee based on how simple the story was. I do believe that kids that drive w/out a license most be punished by telling them they cannot get a license until a certain age and make them do community service, besides a smaller reasonable fine which based on what I have read on Cali law could be around $250.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Sure, a 'walk in the park' his/her parents have $850 laying around to pay immediately because everyone is rich and don't care paying such a high fee for their kids stupidity so that they can get their car and kid back... :rolleyes:

Not sure what the rolleyes is for, you're probably dead on.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

My guess is the missing part is he does not have a DL at all. As in he has no legal right to drive at all.

No DL ticket (as in you do not have your DL on you) at most is a slap on the wrist but more often than not they just let you off with a meh response but not having a DL at all that is another story.

They would not of impounded the car if he had a DL and it just was not on him. But if you do not have a DL at all they will impound the car very quickly.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
So...OP registers to make a thread in which the only post has nothing to do with the title, much less has nothing to do with Apple, then disappears and doesn't answer follow up questions. Can we Wasteland this please?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Mod note: since the OP is MIA we'll close this thread.

OP if you come back, report this post using the triangle on the left to have it reopened.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.