Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianGGG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Hello,

I am wondering if this is a normal process for charging the new Apple Pencil:
Normaly my IPad is plugged in 24/7 until I have to use it on the go and so the Pencil as well. After a period of Time the Pencil stops charging and the battery is draining.8% over night whilest everything is connected to the charger. I have to unplug the Pencil and to plug it again on to the IPad to charge it again. I thought it would charge constantly? Could there be something strange in the settings? Is someone els experiencing this issue?
Have to say that the Pencil is only a few days old.........

Last edited:
Reactions: KennethS

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I haven’t seen it on my pencil, when I haven’t used it for some time and I disconnect it, reconnect it again, it is always 100%
I know batteries that are on a a charger a long time are often discharged a little bit (e.g. 5% but 8% might happen as well) to save the battery. Keeping it up to 100% all the time is going to wear down the battery. But I have no idea if this might also happen on the pencil.
If it isn’t more then 8% you have hours and hours of writing left in the pencil.
If it is more or progressively gets more over time, it might be time to contact apple.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
My Apple Pencil 2 does this with my 12.9”. If I connect it to the side of the iPad, it will charge to 100%, but then it seems to stop charging, so by time I use it, it might be down to 85%. If I pull it off and connect it again, it charges again and the process repeats.
I’ve seen some others report the same behaviour and others claim that it doesn’t happen like that for them. I’m not sure which is the expected behaviour.

KennethS

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
UK
My Apple Pencil 2 does this with my 12.9”. If I connect it to the side of the iPad, it will charge to 100%, but then it seems to stop charging, so by time I use it, it might be down to 85%. If I pull it off and connect it again, it charges again and the process repeats.
I’ve seen some others report the same behaviour and others claim that it doesn’t happen like that for them. I’m not sure which is the expected behaviour.
Exact same issue here (12.9" as well). I spoke with Apple support but was told since I am on the beta of iOS they couldn't offer any advice other than to file a bug report (which I have done, without any reply).

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
Exact same issue here (12.9" as well). I spoke with Apple support but was told since I am on the beta of iOS they couldn't offer any advice other than to file a bug report (which I have done, without any reply).

I’m not on the beta, I’m running 12.1.1 (the latest release). I haven’t contacted Apple Support over it, but I’m wondering if it’s a software bug since it seems like it might be common.

KennethS

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
UK
I’m not on the beta, I’m running 12.1.1 (the latest release). I haven’t contacted Apple Support over it, but I’m wondering if it’s a software bug since it seems like it might be common.
I leave my iPad on the charger overnight with the pencil attached (hoping to find both fully charged when I grab them the next morning). When I use it for the first time the next day, the other thing I have noticed (in addition to the pencil being less than fully charged), is the pencil is not recognised by the iPad. A quick connection to the magnetic strip re-engages the pencil (and this is when I notice it is less than 100% charged). So, at some point after sitting for a while the pencil shuts off its connection. I would not expect it to do this when the iPad is plugged in and on the charger, but perhaps it is a deliberate "feature". I can only surmise that after some period of time after the iPad and pencil are both fully charged the pencil disconnects itself, while the iPad stays on a maintenance charging cycle. I called support solely because I wanted to check if this is normal/expected behaviour and not a problem with my pencil. The support advisor was unable to confirm this, and seemed happy to say because I am on the iOS beta she could not provide support at this time. It sounds like we are not alone, and as it doesn't impede my workflow, I will just chalk it up as a quirk...

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I leave my iPad on the charger overnight with the pencil attached (hoping to find both fully charged when I grab them the next morning). When I use it for the first time the next day, the other thing I have noticed (in addition to the pencil being less than fully charged), is the pencil is not recognised by the iPad. A quick connection to the magnetic strip re-engages the pencil (and this is when I notice it is less than 100% charged). So, at some point after sitting for a while the pencil shuts off its connection. I would not expect it to do this when the iPad is plugged in and on the charger, but perhaps it is a deliberate "feature". I can only surmise that after some period of time after the iPad and pencil are both fully charged the pencil disconnects itself, while the iPad stays on a maintenance charging cycle. I called support solely because I wanted to check if this is normal/expected behaviour and not a problem with my pencil. The support advisor was unable to confirm this, and seemed happy to say because I am on the iOS beta she could not provide support at this time. It sounds like we are not alone, and as it doesn't impede my workflow, I will just chalk it up as a quirk...

I also leave my iPad on the charger overnight with the pencil attached and my expectation was also to find them both at 100% when I disconnect then the next day. I do find that the iPad is at 100%, but the pencil has drained somewhat. The percentage will depend on how long it has been sitting there. However, mine usually works with the iPad immediately. I’ve only had one time in the 3 weeks that I’ve had it that I found that I had to attach the pencil to the side again for a second. When that happened though, I also had a few other things that seemed to have reset in my iPad such as having to renter my iCloud password. Neither of these things has happened again though.

There is another thread here where people seem to have the opposite issue where the pencil is remaining charged and draining the iPad battery. I don’t know if my pencil is draining mine though since I just leave the iPad charging overnight and haven’t yet tried charging it to full and then unplugging overnight to see the effect on battery. It could be that our situation of the pencil charging to 100% then not continuously charging is actually better since they are reporting iPad battery drain. I shouldn’t talk too soon though, since I haven’t tested it off the charger yet.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I’m having a charging problem but it is opposite. I had put my pencil away for a bit and it fully discharged. I attached it to my iPad much earlier today and it only recharged to 4%. Took it off and put it back on and it only charged to 6% and it is stuck there now.

ChristianGGG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Ok checked it with a Second pencil and the Problem is still the same.... Hope this is a software problem. Battery decreased by 24% within 24 hours:-/

Reactions: millydog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.