Pencil getting loose

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thefredelement, Dec 6, 2015.

1. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Have any of you noticed your pencil fitting less snug in the Lightning port as time goes on?

2. friedmud macrumors 65816

I haven't charged mine that way yet. I just plug it into a lightning cable right next to my iPad each night...

Is it loose in the Lightning adapter too?

3. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

Mine doesn't feel great in there but I think it's the weight of the pencil.

I cannot believe Apple come up with plugging it in this way, something I'd expect from a cheapo product, having the massive pencil hanging out

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I always thought it had quite a bit of movement, I belief plugging into other lightning ports would result in the same.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Plugging it in to the iPad should only be done for a quick charge if the Pencil runs out of battery while you're on the go. Otherwise you should use the adapter to charge from a lightning cable.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yeah, I mean I can't believe they'd let you top off the charge of the pencil without having to dig a cable out of your bag. The insanity!

Maybe it would have been better if they'd used micro usb and forced you to carry another cable and brick you had to dig out whenever you wanted to charge it?

7. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I haven't used the adapter once yet and my pencil is just fine. It doesn't take that long to charge.

8. thefredelement thread starter macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Nope, it is as snug as a bug in there, which motivated my question.

Since it seems that it's normal I'm sure it will be fine.

It's awesome to be able to get a charge from it.

9. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

It's basically the only way I charge my Pencil during the week; in my opinion it was an ingenious solution and though it might look funny to some, it's an easy and functional way to keep juice in my Pencil while I'm working. I wouldn't want it any other way, particularly if I'm in a long meeting or something and want to top off my Pencil while I'm in there.

Mine has always felt a little loose while plugged in, but nothing that would cause concern and it hasn't changed at all.

10. sparkie1984 macrumors 68000

That makes sense thanks

Shame some people feel the need to bolster their presence with sarcasm, but hey whatever makes you feel like a big man.

Yeah to be fair I hadn't thought about it being just for a quick top up. Makes it seem more reasonable to me now.

11. harriska2 macrumors regular

harriska2

I use my pencil with the adapter at all times. The magnet top is too loose.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I will say, that was one of my concerns with the design. How will it handle constant use, and is there a risk of breaking it, when its sticking out like that.

13. friedmud macrumors 65816

The Pencil is actually really durable. It has a kind of "hinge" built into the Lightning connector to protect the Pencil while it's plugged in.

Just watch everything this guy has to go through to break one: