iPad Pro Pencil in a Haystack....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by masotime, Nov 11, 2015.

1. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

So... it seems like only UK stores have Pencils? I'm curious if any stores around the world have any stocks of the Apple Pencil at all.

Generally it sounds like the U.S. has no Pencils whatsoever (or keyboards apparently).

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

A few people this morning claimed pencils in the US. Haven't seen video / picture proof.

3. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Maybe there is some survey out there that states Americans don't write any more - they just take selfies

4. JeffMorse macrumors regular

5. the future macrumors 6502a

Apple Store in Cologne/Germany had a few Pencils yesterday. When I got there, they were already gone …

6. smr macrumors 6502a

The numbers of UK pencils are small. The Cambridge store said yesterday that they had two! (both sold by the time I got there about 5:30pm)

7. masotime thread starter macrumors 68000

masotime

Hmmm.... So I guess there really are pencils, just that it's like a 0.001% chance of getting them. Interesting.

8. KojiH macrumors 6502

Several of the salespeople at the Brandon, Florida Apple Store said that they had TWO Pencils available for sale when the store opened yesterday. They sold instantly.

9. KojiH macrumors 6502

Apparently most of the people who were able to purchase a Pencil yesterday are too busy sketching/drawing on their IPPs to actually type a message here...

10. JD2015 macrumors 6502

Very frustrating trying to get one. STaff at the Apple store I went to had no clue when they were getting stock. Online chat also said the same, with both complaining they have being told nothing from their side either. I managed to get a go on one today at the Apple store and was very impressed with it. Unfortuntely, they didnt know what apps supported it as could overhear them asking each other and also discusing how to stop people just walking off with the display ones. Worst experience I have had with Apple as a consumer and I am very pro Apple. Personally think the marketing and operations have messed this launch. It's world problems haha.

11. masotime thread starter macrumors 68000

masotime

Definitely agree with you there. I really like Apple products, but this is a very odd snafu from Apple. Or maybe it's normal for them heh, but seriously, who made the decision to produce so few accessories for a completely new product category?

It's not like third-party options are readily available....

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Seems like screwing up launches IS the new Apple. Watches with no bands. iPad Pro's with no keyboards or pencils.

13. kingjames1970 macrumors regular

When I ordered my iPad Pro online, the pencil would have been over a week to be delivered at that point. Instead I phoned, got iPad and pencil put aside and picked both up within the hour (tip: say you are a business customer, did the same thing with iPad 3). I will never pre-order or order online again (other iPad due tomorrow and will be sent straight back). I can't imagine any other company getting away with the complete lack of information, it's only because we're all fanatics that we'll do anything we can do get their products asap.

14. MrPomme macrumors member

Just bought one with my iPad Pro in the Bordeaux Apple Store, France. They had just received them. Don't know how many.

15. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    The stupidest thing is that the Apple pencil was made for the iPad Pro, so why not ship a pencil with each iPP to begin with, and then a person can just decide if they want one or not when they order online or in store. Honestly I think Tim Cook is probably pretty ticked at whoever was responsible for this.
    It is a business and the lack of pencils, is a lack of money for Apple to grab.

16. ahipoke macrumors newbie

I successfully pre-ordered (3am Eastern) one 128gb IPP, smart keyboard, and pencil for in store pickup at an Apple Store in the Washington DC area. Picked up everything at about 10:30am. The smart keyboard and pencil I received were in plain white boxes and had stickers that read "DEMO ONLY - NOT FOR RESALE." I asked about this and the guy said there was some stock mixup and sold them to me anyways. About 1:30pm I get a call from the store manager - she wants the accessories back. She said there were only two sets available and they were not meant for sale. She offered a refund plus a pretty significant discount off the iPad Pro if I were to return the items within a day or two. I returned them to the store yesterday...

...and then I realized how just about no one in America had them yet. Doh, Face palm.

Some thoughts:

The pencil was fun to use but I didn't discover that I had a need for it. I am no artist and so my awful drawings in Notes were still awful. I couldn't figure out how to change the line thickness. It doesn't do handwriting recognition. It does, however, recognize written my stoopid Chinese School Calligraphy. There is no charge indicator so I basically counted out 15 seconds (that's what the ad materials say) and trusted it would work for awhile. It never died on me, so whatever. The grip was nice, though it would be difficult to use the pencil with sweaty or greasy paws. The weighted roll was, cute.

The keyboard was meh. It's fine on a desk but it makes the ipad Pro feel unbalanced when you use it on your lap when sitting, or on your chest when laying down. The keys have a good press (no click or crunch), and I think I could type out a report on it. The thing that bothered me the most was how clumsy it was to flip out the keyboard from the cover and then to set up the triangle support. I didn't get a lot of time to figure out what the deal was, but it just felt like there was one magnet too many. The cover doesn't close flat either. Because the keyboard only takes up one part of the cover, there is a dip where the keyboard isn't. The asymmetry kills me (IMHO it's as bad as the Nissan Cube).

So now that I don't have the accessories, I don't really miss not having the pencil. Maybe down the road I'll figure out some need for it, and I'm sure the price will be the same. I ordered the keyboard again, and while I'm waiting for that, I decided to try out the Logitech CREATE (which apparently is in stock at the local Apple Store for $20 less than the Apple). I'll get it later today.

Attached Files:

17. Zenistar macrumors newbie

I was in the main Zurich apple store yesterday when the pros arrived, no pencils or keyboards. A couple of demo pencils arrived today, nothing else and they do not expect any for several weeks.

Looking at online Swiss suppliers, none of them even got ipads never mind accessories.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

New orders for Apple Pencils are shipping in 4-5 weeks in the US (December 16-22). :(

19. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

And they didn't call your bluff about being a business customer? My Apple store said they're getting them today, but they could've been guessing for all I know.

20. masotime thread starter macrumors 68000

masotime

Are you located in the U.S. or Europe?

21. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

U.S.

22. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The london shops I called were all out. Looks like it's a global shortage

23. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

Whelp as I suspected the rep I talked to at the store last night was wrong, called all stores in my area and none have any in stock. I asked both if they ever got it in and they said yes, we had many but they all sold out. What BS, I don't believe that for a second. I ordered as soon as the site went live and its wasn't available at those stores. I give up, I'm not going to chase this thing around. I'll just wait it out. Apple launches get more frustrating with each new device.

24. masotime thread starter macrumors 68000

masotime

Yeah there's a disturbing amount of uncertainty regarding both the Pencil and Smart Keyboard. No one really knows what's going on with the supply chain on that.

25. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

There may have been a gap in production, they seemed to have a very small launch supply and then over a week out a second wave.