iPad Pro Pencil - Incredible tip wear?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seggy, Feb 13, 2016.

1. seggy macrumors member

I lost my first Pencil on the first day of getting it before I'd actually even had a chance to use it. I had to wait, what, two months? for another one. So I get this and a day of portage and an hour of writing later my tip's noticeably degraded, like it's actually got very, very small bits of plastic hanging off the tip like I'd taken a cheese grater to it.

I plan to pop into a Store for a replacement but I'm assuming they're like gold dust right now. Anyone else had similar issues? I only ink in bursts, and I've used the same Thinkpad Wacom stylus for years, and similarly my VAIO Duo/Canvas and Surface N-trig pens haven't needed a tip change yet.

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Constant useage for a couple of months here - the condition is as perfect as the day it was opened :)

3. seggy thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, should have added a date factor to the question: I was also wondering if it was a formulation change to resolve the lead time now that reviewers have stopped writing about it... A friend of mine with one from release like you looks to be fine, I brushed her tip :rolleyes: and it didn't feel as rough as mine.

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Thats a most cynical paranoic line of reasoning my friend. Apple wouldnt change their manufacture methods in this way so soon on, if ever at all. I suspect you might have a dodgy or defective batch product.

5. seggy thread starter macrumors member

Let's hope so. I'll get down to the Store when I can. Well, if anyone else with a recent acquisition can chime in it'd be good.

6. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

I too would be concerned if my wife's tip was rougher than mine. ;)