Pencil, iPad Pro and workflow

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kingjames1970, Nov 17, 2015.

1. kingjames1970 macrumors regular

For those of you who keep saying this isn't a Pro machine without OS X - you need to 'think different'.

Got my iPad Pro and pencil last Wed.
    • On Thu I used it to edit an image using Pixelmator quicker than I could with Photoshop. And very quickly used Colour Splash to make only part of an image colour (for impact) - felt so intuitive.
    • On Friday I used it to show a client all the spreads of a report I've been working done using PDF Expert. Wow factor for client as well as being a great screen (quality, size and dimension) to show your work off on.
    • Yesterday I did a quick and dirty vector drawing using Autodesk Graphic
    • Today I used it to retouch an image using Photoshop Fix, an image that would have taken ages using the mouse. Just skipped over the image with the pencil, fixing hundreds of blemishes by drawing over them, zooming in and out with my fingers as I went along. 30 min job done in 10.

I could never do without my Mac - for heavy lifting and the complexities of proper OS X software. But, already the new iPad is really complimenting my workflow - it's just better at certain tasks. I think the iPad Pro really shines as a content creation tool rather than just for consumption. And it's really easy to move files in and out of dropbox from within all those apps - apart from Photoshop Fix where you send it directly to your Mac version of Photoshop or Lightroom like magic.

All the naysayers just need to see if it would be cool for them or not. You would have to pry the iPad Pro from my cold, dead hands.

2. Dave245 macrumors 601

Finally someone who gets it! Thank you for sharing this, I have been thinking the same. The iPad Pro can easily replace a laptop/computer for most tasks and in some instances it is often better than using a laptop, I'm still waiting for my Apple Pencil to be dispatched, but thinking about it using the Apple Pencil will be more intimate and give more accuracy than you could get on a computer or laptop. I think people need to think about the iPad Pro in a different way than "just a bigger iPad".

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Thank you! The pencil should be the top reason, if not the only, why one should buy an iPP. It is partly Apple's fault for not making them widely available for purchase at launch. They should really package one to come with everyone iPP.

4. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

5. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

Just for the record, most if not all the things the OP did can also be done using an iPad Air and one of the better 3rd party styluses available (like an Adonit Jot Touch for example).

6. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Can it be done on an iphone? I believe part of the ability to do the work is the actual size of the screen, because it can be done, doesn't mean that the lack of the screen real estate doesn't play a factor in their ability to do work.

7. kingjames1970 thread starter macrumors regular

Potentially but I tried before and didn't really enjoy the experience. I just thought I'd give it another go with the pencil/screen real estate/processing power and it's a massively improved experience. I think we're at the start of something, hopefully the next iOS will improve things further - the home screen looks a bit silly for example with all those icons spread out.

And developers need time to optimise their apps - I'm looking at you Adobe, I shouldn't have to go to all sorts of other apps when I pay my CC membership. Illustrator Draw for example is very basic.

8. kingjames1970 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe later when your mum has finished making me a sandwich. I always get hungry after sex.