Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pencil or no pencil.....

• Yes

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Getting a 12.9 iPad Pro (1st gen), its to be used around the house, as like I imagine a lot now, people don't use laptops and wife is now happy to solely use the iPad, so I thought we'd go for the big screen, as currently use an iPad Air.

So now I know this is a pro iPad, I now about the speakers etc, etc, it will be used by me as well, but do I need the pencil? what do you use it for day to day?

Is it really for artists? I'm not thats. all, and I cant see what else to use it for. I've seen it available 2nd hand for £50 so not sure?

As I say the iPad Pro will be mainly for browsing, watching youtube, reading, it probably won't leave the house tbh, but though the size of the screen must be great for this?

thanks

minicard

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
I've had the pencil since it first came out. Have used it rarely so far. Mostly my young kids using it for drawing.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Oposite for me, I have both iPad pros and use the pencil on both and extensively.
Use it for everything from scrolling to drawing, annotating to doodling during phone conversations.

The iPad is my paper notebook, laptop, stereo set, television, library, everything my parents had and more. I’m loving it!

I seriously think about remodelling my man cave / home office / study room into a white walled, grey marbled floors, empty space with a huge tree slab table, two chairs, two benches, two iPads, two pencils two stands and one keyboard.
And a huge comfortable couch to hang and read. Take a nap. Or fall a sleep al night

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I've had the pencil since it first came out. Have used it rarely so far. Mostly my young kids using it for drawing.
thats what I think will happen as well. I have a Surface 3 and bought the pen/stylus for that, but although I admit I don't use the S3 much now, I hardly used the pen/stylus either

Oposite for me, I have both iPad pros and use the pencil on both and extensively.
Use it for everything from scrolling to drawing, annotating to doodling during phone conversations.

The iPad is my paper notebook, laptop, stereo set, television, library, everything my parents had and more. I’m loving it!

I seriously think about remodelling my man cave / home office / study room into a white walled, grey marbled floors, empty space with a huge tree slab table, two chairs, two benches, two iPads, two pencils two stands and one keyboard.
And a huge comfortable couch to hang and read. Take a nap. Or fall a sleep al night
so you're using it as a replacement for your finger as such in a lot of applications you use? suppose you must pick up the pencil and then use it and rather than putting it don to scroll just use that? Thats obviously fine, but the finger can do that, surely the pencil was meant for more, which is why I'm asking really. If I took away your pencil what couldnt you do? even basic doodling can be done with your finger?

thanks for replies

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I use the Apple Pencil every day for taking handwritten notes on my 10.5” iPad Pro. Mostly for meetings at work.

My daughter is in college and also prefers to take handwritten notes in her classes with the Apple Pencil and iPad Pro (my old 9.7”).

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
thats what I think will happen as well. I have a Surface 3 and bought the pen/stylus for that, but although I admit I don't use the S3 much now, I hardly used the pen/stylus either

so you're using it as a replacement for your finger as such in a lot of applications you use? suppose you must pick up the pencil and then use it and rather than putting it don to scroll just use that? Thats obviously fine, but the finger can do that, surely the pencil was meant for more, which is why I'm asking really. If I took away your pencil what couldnt you do? even basic doodling can be done with your finger?

thanks for replies
There seems to be some unavoidable logic in your reasoning: I don’t use the Surface much, so I don’t use the stylus a lot. That doesn’t make the stylus something that is unnecessary, seems more like a surface/iPad Pro isn’t your thing.

Using it instead of a finger is one of four uses I mentioned. Even if it is 1/4 of the time, which I doubt, the other 3/4 are more then enough to justify it for me.
I write notes in college as they give a better retention of the things that are explained.
That is about 5-7 hours every week. Also I have about 1 hour of webcasts that I need to review for my study.
I also visit several clients every week for work and I like to write my notes on a(n i)pad so there isn’t a great Chinese wall between the client and me. It also gives them the idea I’m not writing down something secret (even though I can’t read my own writing back at times so I hardly think anybody at the other site of the table can read it).
Then I have some 50-150 pages in PDF I need to comment on. That takes several hours as well each day. Sometimes just a “well done”, often small little things like typo’s, switching words, spacing etc. doing this on a laptop is a pain in the proverbial place for both parties involved. I need to make those annoying yellow sticky notes in Acrobat, the other party needs to click on them, change the text, etc.
Writing them down with a pencil (in red!!! I like that) makes it much easier for both sides.
Then there is the doodling. It might seem like a little bit of nothing, but it isn’t. Having something to fidget with keeps me better concentrated. And when I need to write something down I’m not searching for a pen and as a result missing parts of the conversation.

One thing I didn’t mention is that I use it to write down thoughts as they come. I do this in Nebo and it forces me to slow down and think well about what I want to express. When I’m done I can export my handwriting into ASCI (txt/docx/pdf) and use that for working out the rest of the document. But getting to the core works better with a ballpoint/fountain pen/Pencil.
Brilliant app, Nebo and well worth the pencil on it’s own. Again; for me.
[doublepost=1503867096][/doublepost]
I use the Apple Pencil every day for taking handwritten notes on my 10.5” iPad Pro. Mostly for meetings at work.

My daughter is in college and also prefers to take handwritten notes in her classes with the Apple Pencil and iPad Pro (my old 9.7”).
Writing them down improves recollection of the meeting/college. There have been a lot of researchers busy with this. One thing I can’t find is whether this is true for writing on iPads as well, but I can’t think why not. The reason it improves understanding and recollection is that you are forced to slow down, rethink what has been said and therefore get a better understanding. This is different when you touch-type everything that has been said in a constant, non-thinking flow.

Reactions: waveboreale

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Appreciate replies, looks like don't. Won't be using it for notes, definitely no artist either ha ha.

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
I not only use mine for writing and doing/taking notes but use it as a more accurate pointing device. When I don't have it I do miss it, however if that is all you would use it for you don't NEED it, but it may be nice to have.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I use the iPad extensively. I am not artistic at all. I use it for note taking and for sketching ideas. I use Concepts for sketching all sorts of things. I really like that. Nebo is awesome for converting handwriting to text.

If you only do exactly what you do now then you don't need the Pencil. However, if you get the Pencil and explore a little I think you'll find lots of enjoyable uses.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Think I'll keep 1/2 an eye out for one then 2nd hand maybe, if comes along and cheap enough then may get one.

Thanks

Reactions: alecgold

Woodstockie

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2015
NY
Know that iOS 11 will give the pencil a more prominent place, especially in notes. For example, if you are on your lock screen and double tab it, it will give you right away the possibility to start drawing/making notes.

I got my pencil when I bought the 9.7 second hand and recently bought a case that would hold the pencil.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I have a pencil, complete waste of time and effort... doesn't do anything unless you want to draw.
Why buy a stylus when you have 8 on your hands,, ;)

Reactions: Damoh
Know that iOS 11 will give the pencil a more prominent place, especially in notes. For example, if you are on your lock screen and double tab it, it will give you right away the possibility to start drawing/making notes.

I got my pencil when I bought the 9.7 second hand and recently bought a case that would hold the pencil.

Yeah I don't really have any particular need for the pencil, but I have a little bit of a craving to get one "just because". Especially with the way iOS 11 makes the pencil even better.

Reactions: alecgold

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Easier to type and edit than write and edit.. just saying..
Another reason I don't bother with the pencil anymore.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Strange, working for a tech company as you develop ideas things seem to change as you collaborate with other groups or people. Maybe the very reason the top 5 tech companies are at the top because of that very culture of perpetual change and development ?

Yes, editing is certainly not a thing writers, project managers, coders, architects, students do much of... :rolleyes:

I've found a lightly used Apple Pencil on Facebook marketplace for $55. So I think for that cost I'm willing to take the plunge even if I end up not really using it that much. I really do think iOS 11 might make it a lot more useful. I just am a little aggravated now that I only have Gen1!! haha

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Others have said, the Apple Pencil could serve for sketching or notetaking, but primarily its main selling point would be for sketching. As a stylus alone would be expensive just to be using for that for $100.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Picked up an 12.9 and pencil last week in Hong kong. Don't know if I need the pencil but at least it's there for when I happen to need it.

Last edited:

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
I don’t exactly need it— I don’t have one currently in fact. I’m planning on getting one though when’s there’s a sale because I do like to draw (at least try), and I’ll find it useful to write notes and such with it.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
I got one with my first gen 12.9 and I don't use it often, but it is handy for writing from time to time... I did actually use it for work on occasion, taking notes during interviews and so forth - which could be useful in 11 with the image recognition and being able to then search notes, but I don't use it nearly as often as I could.

It is also useful for doing crosswords! There's something about filling them in by writing that's just much more enjoyable than typing them in... I don't know what it is. I'm also not an artist and don't use it to draw at all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.