Pencil - Why only iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by turbineseaplane, Nov 11, 2015.

1. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Forgive me if I missed the explanation on this, but is this the usual Apple artificial limitation in that the pencil absolutely could work with the iPad air 2, but they just chose to lock that to the iPad Pro to drive sales?

That's really frustrating if so as the combination of the iPad air 2+ pencil would be perfect for a lot of people

2. gerbrian macrumors member

This does not technically work. The iPad Air 2 would need a different kind of display to support the pencil.

3. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

What is different in the iPad Pro display?

I was under the impression all the technology was actually in the pencil itself?

4. thedon1 macrumors 6502

From the reviews i've read, the screen has some sort of technology that detects the pencil and refreshes at 4 times the usual rate. That's probably why it doesn't look like there's any impact lag.

It may be difficult to get that technology into something the size/thickness of an air, or it could be expensive to produce at those quantities.

5. gerbrian macrumors member

No. The display itself has a way higher scanning rate than that of the other iPads which is the reason for the minimal delay when drawing.

6. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Thx - Interesting.

I'd wager that iPad Air 3 + Pencil could be a very popular combo (assuming they make Air 3 Pencil Ready)

7. thedon1 macrumors 6502

I'd guess that right now, that technology is decently expensive. Once it goes into mass production with the Pro, production is more efficient and it could be produced more cheaply at a higher scale, it'll be in the Air. That seems to be the way Apple like to roll out new technologies.

Profit margin erosion is quite a big worry, atleast from a market perspective. Analysts go crazy when there's even talk of margins being reduced.

8. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

I think the Air 3 + Pencil might be a more successful device ultimately as the pricing/portability might better match up for a lot of people - At least in terms of sales volume, but perhaps not revenue necessarily.

9. ucfgrad93, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think that Apple will bring the Pencil to the iPad Air. I think they will keep it Pro only.

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

If they bring the pencil to the Air line, there will not be much pro about the larger iPad. I would assume the iPad Air 3 if ever released will have the same internals as the pro, minus the screen

11. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

It requires a more advanced capacitive digitizer than what's currently included in other Apple devices. If/when this will come to other devices is just speculation right now.

12. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Well if that's the case it's pretty egregious that the "Pro" doesn't come with the Pencil.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Why? Not everyone who buys an iPad Pro will buy or want an Apple pencil.

14. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Nor should anyone be forced to buy a 13" iPad to use the Pencil - That's my point. 13" iPad may be the wrong tool for the job (too big)

I'd wager the 9.7" size will get support for the Pencil in the future, especially if you think of all the more mobile uses of Pencil input.

In fact, you could have some sensational use cases for the iPad Mini 5 + Pencil

15. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'd love to see the Pencil get supported in future iPad Air screens. I'm picking up a Pro today specifically for using with the Pencil, but I'd prefer a smaller than 13" size. It's worth it to me to use for at least a year right now, until (or if) they start to make it work for the new iPad Airs.

16. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I'd like to see it on all devices. On the iPhone as a Note competitor, on future MBP trackpads (it's a capacitive digitizer) as a sort of basic Intuos replacement, etc. You'd be surprised by how much math you can do on a 5-6" screen if you have infinite scroll like on OneNote.

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

You don't want to launch it to your whole line of products off the bat. You want to get some data and perfect the item then release it to other areas.

18. turbineseaplane thread starter macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Great point.....That would be like launching all those different Watch sizes and styles at once...

oh wait...

19. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

For some its just a large ipad. For the pros that take advantage of the pencil, will purchase it.

the choice not to include it is profit based, I would assume.

20. masotime, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

As someone waiting to get a Pencil for my new iPad Pro... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they didn't want the Pencil to have shipping delays of up until next year :p.

21. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Couldn't agree more with this. I too can easily see myself using this on all different types of devices.

22. thedon1 macrumors 6502

I'd imagine once the technology is cheap enough to produce (and any size issues are ironed out), it will come to the other iPads.

They will probably use the screen size, chip and storage space as Pro differentiators e.g future models starting at 128gb with a 256gb model.
    I would't be surprised if smart connector accessories really took off (printer connector etc) and that also became the bigger tablets "Pro" differentiator.

23. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I could also see the Pro picking up a more robust port type that could, for example, allow it to accept video input and act as a Cintiq. Or do high speed connection to external drives. I don't think they'd have any problem keeping the line differentiated even with the Pencil on multiple devices.

24. d28z28 Suspended

d28z28

Just wait one more iPad release - i'd bet you ANYTHING that Apple builds the tech into all of their iPads starting now. You kind of KNOW they're going to.

25. newellj macrumors 601

I agree. Apple could, sure, but Apple seems to prefer very dogmatic, rigid and arbitrary product differentiation strategies. I don't see them doing this.