Penn State Greek Life Documentary

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jer446, Dec 14, 2010.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to post my friend's documentary that he made about Penn State Greek Life. He made this video for his final project in a film production class. I helped him as a technology adviser.

Please leave any feedback you might have, both positive and negative, and I will pass it along to him.

Thanks for everyone's help all these years on Macrumors!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbmtjHDC2o8&hd=1

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

My quick two cents.

- Lots of good content but the pacing and storytelling was all over the map.

- The opening sequence was so over the top I thought this was going to be a comedy (seriously).

- The opening sequence is super doom and gloom, the title is "Death to Greek: The Party is Over", but the first 25% of the piece goes on and on about how awesome greek life is. As a viewer this is emotionally confusing and a confused viewer is likely to click someplace else. A little bit of how awesome greek life is good but the story should've moved onto Joseph's death w/in the first minute.

- Thon, while awesome, is talked about in way too much detail. It's a tangent that deviates too much from what the piece is stated to be about (the death of greek life). At most Thon should just be a brief sound bite showing how greek life at Penn State is more than just binge drinking.

- Don't use the Greek font for the lower thirds. Lower thirds should be almost subliminal. If I have to make a conscious effort to read the lower third I'm going to stop paying attention to the speaker which means I could miss something important and lose track of what's going on.

- The party montage starting around 3:20 was a nice break from the wall to wall talking heads and the piece could've used a few more moments like these. The audience can only take so much of people in chairs talking before they start to tune out what's being said.

- The audio was good overall although the narrator's voice was a little low compared to everything else.

- I was hoping to see interviews from school officials and possibly even local PD giving their perspective of events and why the took they actions they did. A large section of the piece felt like a cluster of clueless 20-somethings whining about 'the man' trying to bring them down.

Overall the piece has a lot of potential it is just not presented in a very cohesive fashion.

Lethal

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You could tell that a lot of work went into it... but the technical skills weren't all that great, especially with the green screening. However, he was able to mask a lot of it with flashy graphics :)

Out of curiosity, what level class is this?