Penn Tech Recommends Non-Apple Laptop for Students

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kepner, Apr 2, 2008.

1. kepner macrumors 6502

http://www.pct.edu/schools/BCT/comp_sci/pdfs/Laptop_Requirement.pdf

This angers me. Do you see any reason why a MacBook Pro running Boot Camp could not fit their requirements?

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The note is most likely a holdover from back in the day when Apple computers could not run Windows natively and had to rely on virtual machines at the cost of speed in order to run Windows Applications.

If the Apple computer meets all of the requirements and has Windows installed via Boot Camp, then it meets all the requirements and would be a valid choice.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't see why a Mac with Boot Camp would be a problem, check though.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I see this as liability to cover their @ss. Go get an MBP and be done with it!

5. kepner thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I assumed.

What about the "SVGA/XGA Video Adapter". That's the only thing that looks foreign to me. I'm assuming that's for connecting external monitors or projectors for presentations. Certainly the included DVI-to-VGA dongle would cover that?

I'm pretty sure I'll get an MBP regardless of what I hear from them. I'm almost certain it'll be an advantage more often than a problem.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yes, it sounds like it's talking about connecting to a projector in the classroom, and can be done with the adapter.

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

8. portent macrumors 6502a

Usually, those recommendations are drummed up by the MCSEs that run the school IT department, not the faculty who actually teach the classes.

Still, think about finding a better school....;)