Penryn 15" & 17" keyboards the same?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MadDog31, Jul 20, 2008.

1. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

The subject says it all really, I'm just looking on eBay for a replacement keyboard (still) and found one for the Penryn's...they say it's for both the 15" and 17" but I have conflicting answers elsewhere.

Can anyone verify that the same keyboard works for both?

Or can anyone tell me where I can get mine replaced or where I can order an OEM part in?

2. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

they are the exact same.

except newer models. (penryn) have the playback features where the f9 f10 f11 and f12 keys are

not sure where you can get it replaced. do a search in your area for mac tech help

4. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the Penryn is what I need and that's what this auction has. I'm gonna go ahead and bid on it and see if I can get it. I'm trying my best to avoid taking it to Apple.

Thanks for your help!

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just be careful peeling the black tape; it's easy to rip or rather not easy to remove.

6. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just an FYI:

The 15" and 17" keyboards are the same on the top, but the connectors under them are DIFFERENT. The 15" has shorter-length wires that plug in under the trackpad.

Found this one out the hard way. Hoping to find a replacement but if not I'm facing expensive repairs from Apple. Ugh...

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well thanks for the heads up.

Guess the key is always buy the 17" keyboard then, so if you have 15" just fold the wires a bit more.

8. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just updating this thread to close it out. I finally got the keyboard I needed...it's one that fits the 15" and 17" according to the sticker that was on the packaging, so make sure if you're looking to replace your 17" keyboard you specify that it's this dual-purpose one and not one that just fits the 15".

Works like a charm and it's great to have a nice new keyboard back! :)

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Thank you. Now the question is why they bother making one that just the 15"? :confused: