Penryn and Leopard Worth the wait for a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andydandy, Jun 6, 2007.

  1. andydandy macrumors newbie

    Jun 6, 2007
    Hello this is my first post and its killing me cuz i really want a MBP pro but i dont know if i should wait for leopard and penryn is it really worth the wait and how long do u think i will wait thank you.
  2. stoid macrumors 601


    Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Either you need it, or you don't. Period.

    If you need it, buy it. Having the productivity for the next few months far outweighs the advantage of getting the new technology then.

    If you don't need it, wait.
  3. andydandy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 6, 2007

    School starts in september if Penryn is released in november i can wait
  4. thagomizer macrumors 6502


    May 26, 2005
    Mobile version of Penryn is not due to be released until 1H 2008. Xeon arrives first, probably Q3 2007, followed by desktop version in Q4 2007 or Q1 2008.
  5. ready2switch macrumors 6502


    Apr 7, 2006
    For Penryn, I know some reports are saying end of this year, but I'm really going to bet on Feb-Mar '08.

    Is it worth it? Well, depends on what you're living with now and what you think Penryn will bring you. As I have said about Santa Rosa, there were key things I was waiting on before I bought (which I did today). Those things materialized and I am quite happy.

    If you're just waiting for Penryn because it's the "next best thing", you're going to be disappointed when it gets here because it will likely only be some percentage better than what's available now, just like this is only some percentage better than what came before.

    If you need it now, buy it. If you don't, don't. If you're not sure, don't.
  6. Sbrocket macrumors 65816


    Jun 3, 2007
    Even after Penryn is released by Intel, it'll take some time for Apple to release a new revision of the MacBook and MacBook Pro. It isn't like the processor is released and the next day we get a new revision of the computers.

  7. psychofreak Retired


    May 16, 2006
    Its a possibility - the 8-core Mac Pros came out before the tech. was officially released :)
  8. andydandy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 6, 2007

    That answers my question on penryn but what about leopard will there be hardware updates when leopard is released and was santa rosa a big update??
  9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    London Town
    The new Macbook Pros are simply awful. I'd wait if I were you.

  10. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000


    Apr 27, 2007
    Bristol, England
    The MBP's were updated yesterday. Buy now, unless you have a workable system and don't mind continuing to use it for the next 5 months or so.
    Hey, when leopard comes out, you will wait for the hardware revision, when that comes out there will be talk of the next hardware revision, and 10.6, and the next hardware revision.
    Buy now, buy leopard when it comes out. Unless you absolutely need Penryn, you should be happy.
  11. Squonk macrumors 65816


    Mar 15, 2005

    The first time through I missed the *wink* and was about to jump all over this post. Nevermind. ;) :p :D

    Ditto like the rest, buy you new MBP when you are ready to use it.
  12. ready2switch macrumors 6502


    Apr 7, 2006
    I wanted to add to what others are saying. Right now is a GREAT time to buy, especially if you're a student. I got my MBP with a HE discount AND the free iPod. For a newly released computer, that is a STEAL. (I also was going to by an iPod in the next month anyway, so bonus!). If you are seriously thinking of buying one in the next several months, buy now!
  13. scrambledwonder macrumors 6502

    Dec 4, 2006
    Berkeley, CA
    You should buy a MBP right now without delay.

Share This Page