Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
you're seriously telling me a .2 increase from an already way more than you need for surfing the web 2.2 makes a detectable difference?

Sorry mate, but in this case I really think you must be imagining it. pages load on my powerbook faster than I can blink - and that's some seriously actually old tech! perhaps the wifi reception is better on the new computer but i really doubt it's got anything to do with the processor.
It's possible that wifi is better but loading web pages is not the only thing that appears faster. I was just using an example.

phatcat

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
I agree as well. New macs have more storage and probably less fragmentation on the drives. If your HD is nearly full, everything slows down. A better comparison would be to wipe both PC's clean and perform a system restore.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Chris I agree with you...

It's possible that wifi is better but loading web pages is not the only thing that appears faster. I was just using an example.

about the speed being faster, and I've also noticed that copying/burning DVD's via HandBrake and converting to MP4 for my iPhone is "blazing" in comparison to my MB 2.16. I've also noticed that my BlackBook is noticeably "cooler" than the MB 2.16, since I'm always placing my MB and BlackBook on my lap. I'm hoping there will be some temp comparisons soon. Also, syncing my music and videos to my iPhone has been faster as well. Normally, when I sync a new movie to my iPhone, I go grab a drink or a snack, 'cause it's going to be a few minutes before I can disconnect from iTunes. As an example, I loaded Blackhawk Down (610MB file) to my iPhone and it took 2 minutes and 16 seconds to load on my new BlackBook, while with my MB 2.16 it took 5 minutes and 32 seconds to load. I know it's not scientific methodology, but the results are clear to me, that the BlackBook is definitely faster regarding my iPhone syncing my DVD's and videos. :cool:

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
So your getting a new computer to replace one you got 2 weeks ago for a extra .2GHz! Mad!
Actually it's a little more than that. A bigger hard drive and more memory.

The other thing is that I did not have to pay a re-stocking fee. It was really a no brainer. I had no reason not to do it since it didn't cost me anything extra.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

so if we're to believe this thread, the .2 ghz make webpages load faster and improve USB transfer rates. I would *love* to see reputable benchmarks showing that.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Just did a Handbrake encode through the iMac 20" 2.0 GHz and the Penryn 2.4 GHz Macbook. Same movie, same settings.

As expected, the iMac took 1 hour 40 minutes to encode the movie.
The Macbook took 1 hour 20 minutes.

Looks like I might have to switch my movie encoding over to the Macbook. :)

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
The original intent of this thread was to hear from those who purchased the Penryn Macbooks. I gave my opinion and specifically stated that I wasn't using any benchmark programs. My observations were strictly subjective. In my experience, benchmarks sometime don't tell the whole story which is why I wanted to avoid using them as a reference. Not that they aren't accurate in most cases, but there are so many variables involved that using benchmarks as a sole source of info is dangerous.

Instead many that have replied to this thread have not owned the old Macbook and the new so I'm having a hard time understanding why you guys can tell me that it's not faster.

In any case, I hope we hear more from other users like SFStateStudent who made the jump.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
Definitely 2nd the motion...

The original intent of this thread was to hear from those who purchased the Penryn Macbooks. I gave my opinion and specifically stated that I wasn't using any benchmark programs. My observations were strictly subjective. In my experience, benchmarks sometimes don't tell the whole story which is why I wanted to avoid using them as a reference. Not that they aren't accurate in most cases, but there are so many variable involved that using benchmarks as a sole source of info is dangerous.

Instead many that have replied to this thread have not owned the old Macbook and the new so I'm having a hard time understanding why you guys can tell me that it's not faster.

In any case, I hope we hear more from other users like SFStateStudent who made the jump.

Chris. This is an excellent thread for those you've described. I look forward to others experiences with the MacBook v. the BlackBook, and benchmarks tend to dilute that experience, for me at least. To me the benchmark is someone else's experience and not the actual user's experience, and though helpful in the end, there are certain things benchmarks can't tell us, such as the feel of the keyboard, how the screen looks to the eye, waking your computer from sleep mode, or the amount of time your computer takes to start-up and there's probably a ton of other features just waiting to be shared. So, keep 'em coming...:cool:

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Chris. This is an excellent thread for those you've described. I look forward to others experiences with the MacBook v. the BlackBook, and benchmarks tend to dilute that experience, for me at least. To me the benchmark is someone else's experience and not the actual user's experience, and though helpful in the end, there are certain things benchmarks can't tell us, such as the feel of the keyboard, how the screen looks to the eye, waking your computer from sleep mode, or the amount of time your computer takes to start-up and there's probably a ton of other features just waiting to be shared. So, keep 'em coming...:cool:

Agree and thanks. BTW, I meant to mention this earlier. Does the keyboard seem a little different to you? It feels like the keys are sitting a little higher. Could be just me though.

iViking

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
Quieter = no whine, no buzz

So that's a good thing. The only bad thing is that the keyboard seems like it's not working too well, especially the Y J and K keys...

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
Definitely a bit higher...

Agree and thanks. BTW, I meant to mention this earlier. Does the keyboard seem a little different to you? It feels like the keys are sitting a little higher. Could be just me though.

and quite responsive to the touch. It takes very little effort to depress the keys and the reach seems a bit easier, instead of the "I can almost reach the "q" or "z" or "[" and the numbers, but I'm not sure if those are the right keys unless I look at them" thing. A definite improvement, for those of us that know the "home keys" and don't have to hunt & pick to type. :p

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Apple has you right where they want you. 95% of you will never need or notice the little difference in this upgrade. It sure makes the stock holders happy because it sells computers. Just like an update again in June will sell more computer. This is a good update for someone who needs a new computer but to just buy one because of the new specs is a waste of money.

iamnotmad

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2001
Hi can one of you guys with a new Penryn Macbook, do me a favor please? Do the following somewhere sorta quiet:

1) turn your volume up a bit
2) close lid to put to sleep or just put to sleep.
3) Wait at least 5 mins.
4) open/wake up.
5) Play any sound, listen very carefully when you first play this sound after waking the computer. Listen to the first couple seconds for some hissing/static to accompany the sound (the sound will still be there, just with the static/hiss)

This is happening on my otherwise great new Black MB. Could be a software, soundcard wake from sleep problem. Sorta hoping it is.

Thanks!

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
I've had my MacBook for over a year and it looks as good as the day I bought it. And for $1400 I pamper it accordingly. People that complain about their laptops breaking and denting, etc need to take a little more care and pride in their stuff. So no, it's not a design flaw.

Err no it is a design flaw, there are thousands of macbooks that have suffered the problem with no harsher treatment than just general use. I have had two now and both have suffered the problem. You just wait it will happen to you as well.

pjashley1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
5) Play any sound, listen very carefully when you first play this sound after waking the computer. Listen to the first couple seconds for some hissing/static to accompany the sound (the sound will still be there, just with the static/hiss)

I noticed this too ... but it also happened on my 2.2 SR that I bought a few days earlier.

ironMonkey

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2005
90% of people who are looking for a basic consumer-laptop don't need all those features, and no, the MacBooks are not overpriced.

MBP is very close to overpriced. It costs around a $1000 more than a similarly priced Thinkpad T61p. For $1000 you get 256 mb more video ram, an aluminum case, and OS X. It's up to you to see if that's worth $1000.

ps. Word has it MBP is very warm to the touch.

jegbook

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2007
So, for those of you with Penryn MacBooks that also have 4GB of RAM, would you see if you can get your MacBook to kernel panic when launching DVD Player? It should do it if you haven't rebooted in a while (at least a few days) or have somewhere near 1GB of RAM free. It can be tough to get that little RAM free. Easiest way is to run a virtual machine and set it to 2GB of memory.

There's a large contingent of Santa Rosa MacBook owners out there that have 4GB of RAM that kernel panic when launching DVD Player. Seems to be an x3100 graphics driver issue, but maybe the new processor will let it handle it Ok.

If it works with Penryn, then I'm gonna lobby Apple for a no-cost replacement (heck, I'd even pay a 10% restocking fee to be able to use DVD Player and Front Row...).

Thanks!!!

And I apologize up front for trying to hijack this thread. Kinda uncool. Sorry...

iamnotmad

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2001
Yes, both on Santa Rosa and Penryn.

Thanks for the info, have you ever brought it in to the apple store? Do you plan to? It's not a huge deal, but it shouldn't be happening.

If you have brought it in what did they say?
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.