Penryn different from Core 2 Duo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacOSXuser, Nov 10, 2007.

1. MacOSXuser macrumors regular

Is there big different in the upcoming penryn processor in MBP compare to the current one? :confused:What sort of upgrades will we get from the processor? :confused: more ram support? I hope there is not any new features of the design of the laptop itself :eek:otherwise I will be kicking myself because I am going to buy on christmas.

2. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I've read in a few places that you will probably see a bump ranging from 2.4-2.8 GHz on the MBP line...same 4 gig of ram.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unless you have to, forgo Christmas, and wait a couple of weeks for MacWorld, where it is very possible an update will come...

4. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Penryn is a Core 2 Duo!
    It will replace the current Merom Core 2 Duo chips

5. jeznav macrumors 6502

jeznav

I posted something similar to this a few months ago.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=340402

I was planning to buy an iMac this christmas as well, but I have decided to wait till Jan-Feb Macworld.
    The new Penryn processor for desktops just came out weeks ago and it will be in updated in the MacPro soon. The mobile edition will be out by early next year which MBP and iMacs will be using. If your really desperate to buy a mac this christmas, then go for it.

6. je1ani macrumors 6502

7. jablko macrumors member

Temperature

The real reason to wait for a new Penryn mobile processor is its thermal efficiency. The die shrink to 45nm from 65nm means less voltage which means less heat.

Just imagine, a laptop that runs cool on your lap. It's like a 486 all over again.

Unfortunately I couldn't wait for a new product release since my laptop died. When you do your waiting math, just remember that a product announced in January might not start shipping until February and might not arrive at your house until early March.

If you can wait, the cooler temperatures are probably worth it. If you can't, the current MBP is still a pleasure to compute with.