Penryn Macbook Firewire Chipset

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kubricks, May 27, 2008.

1. kubricks macrumors member

Can anyone tell me what firewire chipset is used on the new Penryn Macbooks? If you happen to have a pro audio firewire device, (I'm using a Presonus Firebox) can you post your experiences here, (especially if the card is able to be powered from the firewire bus). Thanks.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Thanks to eXan:

1 gen - 1.83 - 2.0 GHz Core Duo (Yonah)
    2 gen - 1.83 - 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo (Merom with Napa chipset)
    3 gen - 2.0 - 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo (Merom with Napa chipset)
    4 gen - 2.0 - 2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo (Merom with Santa Rosa chipset)
    5 gen - 2.1 - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo (Penryn with Santa Rosa chipset)

Hope this helps! It's all I was able to track down for you. :cool:

3. bbass macrumors newbie

Penryn Macbook Firewire Chipset

It looks like the mac books that were released in February of 2008 are using the agere or lucent fire wire chip sets, however the mac book pros released at the same time went back to the TI fire wire chipsets. The way to determine what fire wire chip set is by pressing "Command-S" (single user mode) while booting you can see the information about half way down the page.

4. kubricks thread starter macrumors member

Looks like it's still a crap shoot. I'll just try and take my firewire card up to a store and see if it powers directly from the bus.

Thanks.

5. bbass macrumors newbie

The mac book can't except fire wire card you would need to go with a mac book pro.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe the firewire on Macs are industry standard so they should power any bus device as necessary.

7. herman238 macrumors member

Firewire won't power my external hard disk when running off battery, but it's fine when the AC adapter is connected

8. kubricks thread starter macrumors member

There is a problem powering some firewire devices on some Macbooks depending on the firewire chipset used. On these problem Macbooks, you have to 'boot' up the audio card or other device with the AC adapter, after which you can disconnect it from AC power and it will run off the bus power. If you do not have your AC adapter, you cannot get these devices to power from the bus.