Penryn Macbook Pro Accelerometer quesition!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jacjac3, Nov 9, 2008.

1. jacjac3 macrumors member

Is it located in the harddrive to detect falls or is it located somewhere else on the laptop. I want to buy a bigger drive or my macbook pro but I can't seem to kind a drive with an accelerometer for sale around. (320GB 7200RPM seagate).
    I mean I don't want to lose the functionality of the accelerometer. I was having fun writing lil apps for it.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's located elsewhere. Buy a regular old drive and upgrade. No problems.

3. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Thread revival go!

Ok, if I remember correctly, the accelerometer in the MBP is used to park the HD in the case that the system detects a sudden drop....correct?

Since the accelerometer isn't located in the HD but in the MBP itself, would this mean that it will function with any 2.5" HD I purchased for upgrade?

I've got my eyes on a particular WD 500GB drive but it isn't one of the "shock resistant" types...is that safe? This is my primary box now so I want to protect the data best I can from movement of the system.

4. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

yup :)
    the acceleromter is used to detect the movement, and is not located in the HDD. So your all good :) If im right, people say that buying HDDs with sensors in and putting them in MBPs actually mess something up as the two work together and it just fudges really.
    So yeah, any ol 2.5, good to go mate :)

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

its ok to have a HDD with its own shock sensor. you will just notice a bit more clicking than a HDD without it.