Penryn Macbook Pro and Macbook Temps??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macenforcer, Feb 26, 2008.

1. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Can you guys and gals with new macbooks and macbook pros install the istat pro widget and tell us what your fan speeds and temps are at idle and full load please?

get istat pro here: http://www.islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=7

For idle specs just let it sit there. For full load try downloading a 1080 HD trailer and let it play on loop for a few minutes. That will give a good reading.

Let us know. Thanks.

2. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

nobody? Just wondering what the fan speed is at idle.

3. Masivemunkey macrumors newbie

fan speed at idle is around 2000rpms for both fans

4. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Great, thanks.

5. EmbeddedTim macrumors newbie

EmbeddedTim

I have one of the last-released iBook G4 and it stays inaudible except for when being extremely stressed (high-fan speed kicks in and easily breaks into audible sound level).

Anyone have any ideas on how audible the MB and MBP Penryns are?
    I'm looking for quiet (very quiet!) when I come home at night....

6. Oldhamer macrumors newbie

Fan Speeds

Running at 1997rpm. CPU temp at 58 degrees.

7. Masivemunkey macrumors newbie

Mine is EXTREMELY quiet. It is pretty shocking how quiet it is actually. I don't even hear the hd drive click like I did on my windows laptop. I'm sure if you just want a quiet computer the MBP is perfect.

8. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

58 degrees seems high. Is it at idle?

9. Masivemunkey macrumors newbie

after running a 1080p trailer 7 times my temps (vs. idle) are:
    CPU A: 68 vs. 51
    GPU diode: 75 vs. 60
    GPU heatsink: 66 vs. 51
    Heatsink A: 64 vs. 53
    Heatsink B: 46 vs. 41
    Enclosure Bottom: 35 vs. 32
    Memory control: 50 vs. 45
    Airport card: 56 vs. 54

The fan speed didn't go up during the trailer still at 2000rpms.

BTW this is the 15" with the 512mb gfx card and 250gb hd

10. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Now that is impressive. I ran that very same test at the apple store on the 2.4ghz and the fans hit 3500rpms and temps went to 78 degrees. Looks like we might have a winner here. Thanks.

11. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Was that the merom one you tested?

12. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Yes. Yesterdays Macbook pro.

13. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'd love to see some more testing here. If it turns out that the new MBPs have a much lower average fan spindle speed, that would be a nice benefit.

14. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Well went to the apple store today to check temps. Man, no different. The penryn runs NO cooler. Fan speed is still an issue.

On a simple test of playing in a loop an HD 1080 trailer here is what I found

Macbook: immediately hit 79c and fans spun up to 6200rpm

Mabook pro: 79c and fans hit 5400rpm but came back down to 4300rpm and stayed there.

Macbook air: 79c fans spun up to an amazing 6500rpm but here is what was interesting, the fans stayed at 6500rpm after I closed the video and cpu went back town to 59. Fans never came back down while I was there for 36minutes.

Now you say its normal? Maybe for 2008 macs but I have a mac mini that I upgraded and while running an HD 1080 video and ichat and surfing my temp is 58c and fans are spinning at 3188rpm top end.

Also to note

- Both macbook and macbook pro played video fine but macbook air went completely unresponsive and video was super stuttering.

- The test of the ichat camera on all 3 yielded the following results. The macbook pro had the best clearest camera. THe macbook was clear but a little fuzzy and the macbook air's camera was absolutely horrible. Blurry and distorted. I tried 3 macbook airs and all had the same crappy camera.

So there you have it. Fans aplenty. They NEVER shut off. Macbook at idle was 1800rpm, macbook pro at idle was 2000rpm and macbook air at idle was 2500rpm. My mac mini is 1500rpm at idle. My original macbook first release black fans don't come on at idle.

15. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I was just in the apple store tonight. I feel like those computers ran a lot warmer than my powerbook G4... Granted, they're loaded with tons of programs and such, but I let one 15 inch sit for a while, (Force quitted all the programs) and it wasn't coming down in subjective heat (My hand was the thermometer).

I wonder if the OS-X is different in the apple store than we get? I mean, with all that Customer Care stuff running off the desktop???

16. f1vespeed macrumors newbie

At idle:
    47 deg C
    <2000rpm

in warm california weather. not bad!

17. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

2.6GHz MBP with 512MB G84M GPU and the 7200RPM Hard Drive. I purposely run the fan at ~3000rpm at all time using smcFanControl and the CPU temp varies between 41-47 deg during light activity. The GPU is usually much warmer, around 55-65 deg. With both cores and vector units pegged, the CPU hits around 58 deg and the GPU can go up to nearly 80 when stressed.

In Windows 2008, the GPU is always around 70-80 deg, which is a little worrying considering that NVIDIA has just acknowledged that all of the G80-series GPUs are prone to overheat and fail, just like the R500 ATI GPU in the Xbox360 (which overheats and burns out, causing the infamous "red ring of death" failure). I think that these GPU companies need to chill out a bit (literally and figuratively) with introducing a faster, more intricate, higher power consumption, 50% transistor-count bumped model every single month and focus on making GPUs and drivers that actually work and offer solid stability. I mean, NVIDIA's latest GPU card (the 10th series GeForce) is the size of a football, runs around 100 deg and requires 310W at full utilization (a separate power supply is needed just for the GPU).

I think Intel learned this lesson a few years with the Pentium 4: just because it is technically possible to build a chip with billions upon billions of transistors and introduce a new model every week (now with even more GHz!!!) doesn't make it the best long-term strategy.