Penryn Macbook Pro just died on me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thefamousgrouse, Feb 28, 2008.

1. thefamousgrouse macrumors newbie

So my two-day old Penryn Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz just died on me. First the battery stopped charging (green/orange light on adapter magsafe connector stopped lighting up, but battery status on screen showed as plugged in but "not charging"). Then, after putting the computer to sleep, when I opened the lid again the notebook simply refused to turn on. Brought it in to genius bar, and the problem appeared to be two-fold: failed adapter and failed battery - they said something about a logic board problem? Anyway, the Apple store gave me a new notebook, and I'm really hoping this is a strange fluke...

Any other Penryn or non-Penryn users have something similar to this happen to them? I'm wondering if maybe somehow a power spike or something fried the system? But that doesn't really make since, as the MBP was plugged into the same sockets that were simultaneously powering a Dell laptop...

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I wouldn't worry about the new one the Apple store gave you, the first one was most likely just a lemon, it happens, don't let that experience concern you. Even exclusive hand made products manufactured in small quantities can have flaws. Let us know how this new one performs.

3. thefamousgrouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reassurance - I'll let you know how it goes!

4. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Haha, pwn'd

Jk :)
    I'm glad to hear you got a replacement. Let this be a warning to you though, you should probably get AppleCare [recommendations go to eBay]

5. honeycrisp macrumors regular

Scary!

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Yes, it's very lucky that it gave up so soon. Nothing worse than having to start all over 6 months after the purchase date.

7. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Apple quality control............gotta love it. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear they gave you a replacement right away.

8. chocmoose16 macrumors newbie

not so lucky

i've had even worse luck with my laptops (yes plural). and i am a lifelong apple fanatic.

i ordered a 2.6 GHz penryn laptop and a week later it died while saving an adobe illustrator file - the spinning beach ball of death took over and when i restarted using the power button there was nothing but a white screen (not even the apple logo or a loading thing)

then after finally getting a new one delivered 3 weeks later (the first was declared dead on arrival hence no hassle to replace it automatically) it died less than 24 hours after i first switched it on. this time while saving an adobe photoshop document.

i don't think its the software though - just a strange coincidence, because i've been using the same installation disks for my desktop computer which has never had a problem.

hopefully the NEXT one doesn't die.

9. switcher3365 macrumors regular

Actually, I have the same issue with my Penryn. I will plug in the adapter, and the computer will show it as plugged in but not charging. The light on the adapter will also not be on or faintly lit as well. If I flip the MagSafe plug or unplug it and plug it back in, it will work. It doesn't happen all the time, and I didn't think that it was a big deal until I saw another post about the same problem.

10. chrisbate macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Afraid similar thing has happened to me! Purchased myself a brand spanking new macbook pro while I was on holiday in New York. Apart from Ipods, it was my first trip into the mac computer world and I was very excited.

Got it home, worked beautifully for 4 days. Then got home from work one day and started it up. Nothing. Grey screen of death!

Rang up technical support, who declared it DUA. Of course I demanded a straight swap, but due to the fact I live in the UK and bought it in the US this was "not possible" and there was "nothing they could do."

So, off I went with my laptop to a local repair centre. I emailed them today asking them if any progress had been made. Unfortunately, the logic board required is notavailable to buy yet from apple as the laptop's so new, and they don't know when it will be!

You can tell how impressed I am! I mean, I love apples and mac OS X works like a dream. The 4 days I had with the laptop were awesome! But, I feel I am being totally let down by apple on this issue. Why is it impossible to replace in the UK, when the laptop is the same in every country, with just a different plug on the end?

The final nail in the coffin is this was meant to replace my laptop that's totally nackered from 4 years hard use. I'm going back to university in 3 days and I'll have no computer to work on!

Total, total nightmare :(

11. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Its just part of their warranty agreement that you sign up for when you buy.

Its not impossible, they just don't want to encourage people to go and get it cheaper in a different country.

Items need to be repaired in the country you buy them. Unless you happen to get an extremely helpful person who happens to be in a good mood...

12. chrisbate macrumors newbie

The warranty thing I get, it's tough **** for Christopher! Thing is, I ended up buying it in New York not to save money, but I was finally convinced by the dreamworld that is the 5th avenue store in New York that yes, I wanted one and I wanted one now :D

Ha! Well, hopefully I might find someone this afternoon in the good spirits you talk about, here's hoping!

13. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Yeah my first penryn had battery issues as well, not to mention yellow tint problem, second replacement had yellow tint as well and even worse than the first one, and now Im waiting for the 3rd replacement...

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Dont worry at all, I'm sure the one you got was just a 1 in a hundreds of thousands lemon and you new one is the real one!! :cool:

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Good to know they replaced it. You should see what Lenovo does when my computer broke in a week. They refused responsibility.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I used to be a IBM thinkpad lover... but after lenovo took over.. I stopped loving their thinkpads.. sure they look similar but the build quality has gone way down since the older thinkpad t40's and lower...I remember it used to be built with real metal.. not anymore.