Penryn MacBook Pro User

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sabipin, Mar 10, 2008.

1. sabipin macrumors newbie

Hello All,

First I would like to thank all of you to have this website. Very useful for everyone. I recently got moved to Mac from real PC and will never go back.

I received my new 15” Penryn macbook Pro last week. It is a 2.5 GHz with 6 MB cache ram, 2 GB RAM, and 512 MB graphics video. I also had the earlier version of Macbook pro with 2.4 GHz and 256 MB graphics, which was purchased 1 month back (now returned because of the new model) .

Here is what I found:

1) The penryn based new notebook is just a little faster than the earlier version. It does not get as hot as the earlier macbook pros get. Everything else is same. I would recommend buying the older version for several $ cheaper than the penryn. You will only get if you are lucky.
    2) Installed XP and Ubuntu on parallels. Works perfect.
    3) Good thing to know: The vista score on earlier notebook was 4.7, but for the penryn based notebook is 5.4

I have used my new penryn for a week now. Have formatted it for 3 times with different versions of softwares. Everything just seems good. Heat is also tolerable on your laps. Now you can actually call it as a notebook. This also comes with the new bootcamp drivers for XP and vista.

The only minor problem I noticed with this it, it froze up once during start-up. But this is not a hardware issue.

I would have liked to see the power button somewhere on the external side. This way I could connect an external monitor without opening the notebook. But its OK.

Thanks,
    BPN

2. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

sorry if this is a stupid question....is 4.7 better than 5.4? if so why would this be if the processer is faster? and are these measurements through parallels or bootcamp? seems like bootcamp would be faster than parallels....just guessing