Penryn Macbook Pro vs Merom Macbook Pro Temperatures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kousuke18, Oct 21, 2008.

1. kousuke18 macrumors regular

Ok so I just received a refurbished 2.5ghz macbook pro to replace my older 2.2ghz merom macbook pro. Everything is fine but I did realize that the graphics card on the penryn mbp is running hotter than the cpu whereas, the temperatures of the graphics card and cpu are almost identical on my 2.2ghz macbook pro. Is this normal? Can anyone with a penryn macbook pro (preferably 2.5ghz model) post their temperature readings? Thanks.

2. alanlindsay macrumors member

Penryn 2.4 MBP

CPU A: 49C
    GPU DIODE: 61C
    GPU Heatsink: 47C

The Penryn is a 45nm chip whereas the merom is 65nm. This is the reason the Penryn runs cooler.

3. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

That's because your old MBP was still a 65nm Merom. It's the same fab process as the 8600M and therefore has idle to mild temps in the same range.

The Penryns are 45nm fab and run quite a bit cooler, however the same 8600M is used in those MBPs (the 65nm fabbed GPUs) so the GPUs will have the same temps between revisions. There was no die shrink for those.

The only difference is that now the CPU temps will be lower, making it seem like the GPU is too high. Nothing to worry about.

But kudos for actually keeping an eye on that stuff though :)