Penryn MBP - Fan always running?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sjb, Mar 1, 2008.

1. sjb macrumors regular

I just picked up a new 2.5 15in MBP the other night. I've noticed that the fan is always running (the sound appears to be coming from the left side). It is not all that loud, but it is always running. iStat shows approximately 2000RPM for both the left and right fans.

I upgraded from a PowerBook G4, and I don't recall the fans always running. Is this normal, or should I be concerned?

Thanks,

-Steve

2. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I've noticed that my fans have been running the same as yours. They're silent to me, so it really doesn't bother me.

3. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

yep.. i made the same switch you made and mine is running 2000 rpm but silent to my ears.

i guess it's better to have it running than becoming really hot

4. sjb thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. I only noticed mine this morning. I was in a dead silent room, and I could hear them purring along. Both of you really can't hear yours? Maybe I just have super sensitive hearing :)

5. engles macrumors regular

probably to combat the heat problem the previous MBP were having.... If you want to control the fan speeds. get smcFanControl its a great app that sits in your computers top menu. you can adjust fan speed as needed.

6. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

yep 2000rpm on both fans at ilde

but can only hear when room is dead silent..

also, it isnt a while or hiss or buzz,....

just a steady "whoosh"

easy on the ears