Penryn MBP left fan problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrx, Mar 13, 2008.

1. mrx macrumors newbie

I've just got my 2.6Ghz 15" Penryn MBP. The left fan is constantly on, making a wooshing sound that although not deafening, is considerably louder than that of my old G4 1.25Ghz 15" Alu.

However, more worrying, is that the fan doesn't shut down when I put the laptop to sleep. It keeps going for around 20-30sec. During this period the computer is unresponsive and can't be woken up. The screen is blank. This happens every single time I put the computer to sleep (even if it is cold).

Is anyone else experiencing the same problems? Should I contact Apple about this?

2. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Some of the sound you may be hearing is the hard drive spinning. It is located on the left side under the palmrest. The left fan is located below the F1, F2, F3 key region.

It is normal for both left and right fans to be constantly on. They should both idle at 2000 RPM unless the system is being stressed. You can download the iStat Pro widget to check on your fan speed and system temps.

When you put the system to sleep the hard drive and fans continue to run, because the newer machines go into what is called safe sleep mode. All of the data from the RAM is transferred onto the hard drive in case the battery dies or the battery is removed when the system is in sleep mode. This takes anywhere from 10-20 seconds depending on hard drive speed and the amount of installed RAM. You can tell when the system has finished the exchange of data and has entered sleep mode by looking at the sleep indicator which will begin to slowly flash

3. mrx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that is very helpful. My left and right fans are both running at 2000rpm. I've got a 5600prm 250Gb disk. Maybe it is the HD making the noise, but I would have thought that it would spin down and so go quiet after a while. The noise from the left is pretty constant---I can't hear anything from the right.

Is it okay to move the computer while the data is being transferred to the hard disk*before sleep, or should I wait until it is done?

4. sixth macrumors 6502

Load up SMC Fan Control and jack the fans to 3000RPM....:)

5. bcaslis macrumors 68020

This sounds 100% normal. Both fans will always be on with a minimum 2000 rpm. When you go to sleep on any MacBook Pro it does a hibernation. This takes 20 - 30 seconds and your fans and hard drive will still be running during this. Once hibernation is complete (all RAM contents get written to disk) it will then turn completely off.