Penryn MBP vs. New MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oakiegu007, Dec 1, 2008.

1. oakiegu007 macrumors member

vs. 1st gen black MB.

I was an original Macbook owner. I have the black, 2.0Ghz model with integrated video and 2gb ram, 80gb HD etc. from summer/2006.

My fiance needs a new computer, but just for writing and browsing. My thoughts were to give her my macbook, which is just fine for that.

I don't have a ton of money, but I feel like I would be wasting my time with a new macbook. I am a pretty heavy CS3 user, as a hobby, but a frequent user nonetheless. I work with a lot of .cr2 raw files that are all over 10mbs, and my system tends to get quite toasty and sluggish. I also have recently started using my MB for games, when I have the time, which tend to run like they're stuck in mud.

I know the new MB's have discrete video and are a significant upgrade over what I have, but I feel like I'd be better off with a penryn MBP, 2.5Ghz/8600 GT Nvidia, matte screen, either refurbished from apple for 1499 or NEW from amazon, with a rebate for 1549 from the release before this one. That was the previous top of the line 15inch MBP. I couldn't possible afford the new MBPs, and I'm not a huge fan of glossy screens anyway.

I guess what I'm asking is how does the performance compare between those two models (new MB vs penryn MBP) considering they're essentially the same price.

MB
    http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MB467LL/A?mco=MTkzOTI0Mw

vs.

MBP
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB134LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

2. oakiegu007 thread starter macrumors member

also

I just got off the phone with Apple and I was told that you can buy a NEW, previous generation, Penryn, for 1599 with the ed discount...the 2.5ghz model. They told me for the refurb, there's no guarantee that there won't be a problem with the 8600, but for the new units, they are fixed.

3. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

If you are doing anything graphicaly intensive then go with the pro. Basically the MacBook will be more enjoyable to use because of the trackpad and case design, but will lag behind in games. If you aren't playing games and don't care about no matte screen option or a smaller screen then I think the MacBook is the better choice.

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

i just bought the same MBP you are thinking of buying. I bought it at the end of october. it is a brilliant machine:)

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

OP: The new Macbook does NOT have discrete graphics, but as you said it is much better than the previous gen one.

If I were you (considering what you do) I would buy the MBP.

6. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Penryn MBP is a wonderful deal now. It's plenty powerful and if you like matte screens, it's a much better option than the new machines out there. I love mine :)

7. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Unless I am missing something, why do people believe that graphics cards have ANY effect on 2-d graphics work. Even with video editing, unless you are doing 3-d animation/Graphics (Motion) or working with Apple's Color, a graphics card means nothing. Obviously 3d games need graphics cards, but needing it for 2d graphics work seems to be a very popular misconception.

Do some googling and look at the benchmarks for Final Cut Pro on a consumer notebook (the macbook) when it just came out a few years ago. It rivaled the Power Mac dual G5s. http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=38816

Barring some photoshop effects I am unfamiliar with, the program will never even tickle your graphics card. Its all on processor, RAM, and the occasional harddrive for material reference.

All I am trying to say, IMHO, dont make the discrete graphics card a dealbreaker for photoshop needs.

8. StuBeck macrumors 6502

He says he wants to play games. I'd get the MBP any day. If I wasn't having top case issues I'd consider getting one (trading up) but as it is I think I'm going to just stick with what I have for a while.

9. Hatchet macrumors regular

Yep, i picked up this deal a week after the New MBP's were out. It is amazing.