Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiesforme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I got the new Penryn based 15.4" 2.4 GHz MBP yesterday :cool:
Three weeks back I had purchased a MB :D
I was aware I would run into some problems with Wi-Fi but was able to resolve them for my MB. Tried all the stuff I read on Macrumors forums and on Apple discussion forums. Some of them are:-
* Power cycle modem n router / Reset Router - I have a Trendnet TEW-432BRP 802.11 a/b/g router(latest firmware)
* Check SNR (singal to noise ratio) with iStumbler and set Channel to 11
* Disable Ipv6 in TCP/Ip settings on theMB
* Airport on/off - MB reboot
* Set / Remove DNS entries in Network preferences on MB
* etc etc etc including crazy settings on fragmentation / MTU and adding the No delay option in etc/smb.conf

At the end of it all, the MB seems to perform "ok"
Why "ok"?? -> My Windows Laptop with a .11g card downloads 700 MB files at an average of 950 kbps. When using a download manager (Flashget) I can crank it up to 1.5 Mbps with 10 parallel downloading segments for the same file.
MB on the other hand starts at about 100 kbps and stabilises in the range 375-420 kbps for the same file. (Note that I did not run the downloads simulataneously on the windows laptop and the MB, but one after another)

Now all this said n done, I was hoping I would be able to do something about the new MBP wireless throughput too. Yes as expected I was getting pathetic throughput. For example - When i started a trailer(Step Up 2) on Front Row, it took 3-4 minutes to buffer before the video started playing :(
It worsened after that to the extent that I was not able to stream "how to" videos from apple.com.
So, I read through tons of forums again and tried all the above.
Nothing worked and the thoughput as seen on iStat Pro (Menu Bar)hardly crossed 90 kbps (uplink/downlink) while trying to browse websites and stream a movie.
Any suggestions ??

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
that sucks reindeer testicles.

I think today alone I have seen 3 threads dedicated to the penryn mbp's wifi.

skiesforme

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Problem solved : MBP replaced !

anyone else having these troubles?

that sucks reindeer testicles.

I think today alone I have seen 3 threads dedicated to the penryn mbp's wifi.

I am finally relieved and a happy man:)
No more issues now. Got a new "new" penryn MBP replacement within 5 min of explaining the problem to the Apple Genius. Just ran a side by side test on 2 MBP and showed him the issue. He said it seems like an issue with the Airport card. I have a new MBP now and it runs blazing fast !! :cool::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.