Penryn, Nehalem, Montevina,???????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by doctor pangloss, May 3, 2008.

1. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

What in the hell is this cutesy lingo?
    Is it code? Or just some geeky bullloney? WTF?
    Apple doesn't seem to market any of these words.
    I might have to go back to PCs because this is incomprehensible and too esoteric for me.:eek:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Please search Google or Wikipedia. They're chipsets/motherboards/processors.

The PC world goes by model numbers. That's stupid, the generations become difficult to distinguish.

3. nintendude macrumors 6502

beat me to it in <1 min :p

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Hey ...do what I do "just say Phuket" and move on.

:D

5. doctor pangloss thread starter macrumors regular

That's about right....after looking though the links I was very amused to see all of cute names I hadn't heard about yet.
    Kentsfield, yorkshire pudding, allendale, merom, conroe, poofywoofydale.
    Bzzzz pop oops my synchronous memory module just failed.
    Someone is just kidding us right!!! Fock a duck;)

6. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Umm, excuse me? Are you saying that PC's don't use Intel processors? Last time I checked, about 90% of the computing world uses PCs, and 75% of those people use the same (or often superior) Intel processors that power your Mac.

Also, I don't see how model numbers are dumb. If I told some random person on the street that the CPU in my left hand is a 3500+ and the one in my right is a 4000+ and asked them to tell me which is faster, I'd guess that 99% of the people would get it right. On the other hand, if I told them the one in my right hand is a 2.0GHz Nehalem and the one in my left is a 2.0GHz Northwood and asked them which one is faster, my guess is it would be 50-50.

Oh, and I highly doubt that you have a Nehalem Mac Pro, as your sig says, as they're not due out till Q4 this year. A perfect example of how using names instead of model numbers makes it easy to get confused.

To the OP: The reason Apple doesn't market these names is two-fold: one is because they're Intel's brand names, not Apple's. The other reason is to hide the inner workings of computers from their primary sales base: uneducated (at least in regards to computers) middle-upper class folks who pay top $$$ for a computer because they just want it to work out of the box and not give a damn about how their $2000+ investment really works.

To answer your question fully: Montevina is a platform, meaning it consists of specific CPUs, graphics chips, wireless modules, etc. Penryn is the last mobile CPU in Intel's Core 2 series, made on a 45nm die process. Nehalem is it's successor and will start a completely new series of processors (ie, not Core 2). As such, it will see a major overhaul of the entire CPU architecture, though it will still be made on the 45nm process.

For the future, I highly recommend that you do some solid, unbiased research before spending $2000+ on anything.

7. thinkband macrumors regular

???
    Maybe I am missing something... but when did he say that Pc's don't use Intel?

Anyways... your example is stupid. "CPU in my left hand is a 3500+ and the one in my right is a 4000+ and asked them to tell me which is faster." Well obviously if that was how most PCs did their model numbers, then sure the consumer would know one was better than the other. That is not usually the case from my experience. Look at Sony for example.. they have the CR434525 and the CR439339.. and their better model is the VR9439483. I did not look it up for the sake of this post, but their model lines literally differ by letters and numbers. Most computer companies do not call their computer the "4000" and then the later model the "4500."

I don't know why anyone is starting an argument on Apple's lack of model numbers vs. PC model numbers. The idea of macbooks and macbook pros is that they dont need a model number. They are pretty instinguishable from refresh to refresh except for the insides of the laptops. Even when they are changed on the outside, they look pretty similar to what they used to look like. PC's change their machines all the time and therefore need something to distinguish them from the past computer.

So chill lonewolf... this is just a forum where people get information and there are far stupider questions asked in other threads. This forum is supposed to bring unity, not conflict.

8. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Sorry Bud, your wrong. Sony doesnt make Processors...they make computers. He is not talking about computers but processors. AMD makes processors that would fit his example. Im currently using an AMD 3400 Athalon processor. I bought a CPU upgrade from AMD to replace this processor which is an AMD 4000..Intel does the same thing.

Before correcting someone, I suggest getting your facts straight.

9. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

Thank you. Yes, it's apples to oranges; PCs are not CPUs, just as Penryns aren't PCs. This thread is about CPUs, so I don't see how you could possibly bring up the name Sony.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

OF COURSE I DON'T. Hence the word 'piecemealings' and the parentheses around what I don't have.

I'm not Steve Jobs; I don't get prerelease hardware.

Oh, and... the E5470 trumps the E6540, but you knew that because you've memorized all of the model numbers for all of Intel's processor lines, right?