Penryn owners: how often do you use multi-touch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gothamm, Mar 12, 2008.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

2. ucsdmac macrumors 6502

ucsdmac

to be honest..i was pretty excited about the fact that multitouch came to the mbp.. but since i got it.. i havent used it. I can't seem to make the pinching for zooming gesture work for me in iphoto, it zooms in safari though. And I havent developed a habit for 3 fingers scrolling yet.

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I like the Multitouch abilities very much, though I also count two-finger scrolling and right-click. I often use the method of moving a window by a finger-tap, too and use the three-finger navigation in Safari, which is more comfortable IMHO than using the trackpad to go the buttons.

I don't use zoom and pinch, though.

4. chrisblaze macrumors member

5. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

I've had my new MBP just under a week and haven't used it at all yet, I was also quite excited.

But since it doesnt work in Aperture or Firefox, that only leaves Finder I could use it in...

I guess I will play around with it a bit in the longer term, but so far, nope.

6. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Hi there!

I use Multi-touch all the time. I use it to back and forwards in safari and finder all the time. I sometimes use it for zooming in, but yeah, mostly safari and finder :)

7. DocSmitty macrumors regular

All the time. Once you get used to the three-finger swipe forward and back in Safari it's great, as is the zoom of pinch/stretch (I use firefox on pc but am fine with safari so far) I don't go out of my way to find programs that use or need it, but it'll be nice as more programs do support it.

8. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

I swipe a bit in finder, wish it worked with cover flow. Unless I havn't figured it out yet. Seems to be most functional when viewng pdf files ive noticed so far. Not sure why I want to rotate a pdf but I can :p

edit: well I just noticed you can select your icons on desktop and pinch zoom, that explains why they keep changing size lol

9. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I actually use it a lot everyday. The main gesture I use is the 3 finger swipe to go back and forward in Safari. I use the zoom and rotate gestures every once in a while.

10. jturn00 macrumors member

It does work with Aperture.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Aperture_2.0_lbn_z.pdf

11. limeybast macrumors newbie

I've been getting used to the new gestures and finding them very useful once they become habit.

Right-click on two finger + mouse button is great, zoom and rotate are good once you figure out a finger combination that works for you. I use my index and middle fingers. Rotate just requires a quick flick of the fingers rather than a fully described circle motion, get that down and it becomes a lot more useful.

Still working with three finger scrolling as I've tended to have cmd+direction keys set up before and that combo is very easy to use on the mbp.

I don't have single tap to click turned on as I found it was picking up too many false negatives.

12. sjb macrumors regular

I use the forward and back three finger swipe quite often in Safari, and only occasionally in Finder. I don't use the zoom feature much, an quite frankly wish there were a way to disable as I seem to accidentally zoom when I don't want to.

13. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I guess two-finger scrolling might work for that, as it's not limited to scrolling up and down.

14. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

15. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

The current gestures are a bit limited.
    Apple needs to add more.

16. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

the only two things i've found intuitive are the picture rotating in iPhoto and the 3 finger swiping in safari - all are very useful!

17. gothamm thread starter macrumors 6502a

double tap to right click?
    two finger scroll?
    tap to lock and drag?

uhhh...these features were all there before multitouch. i am talking about the new features.

18. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

I use it all the time, I love the scroll! When I'm desiging in Photoshop or Illustrator and am really close its a really fast movement and keeps me going, I like it very much so, only bad part is that you can't zoom :mad: in photoshop.