Penryn question - Video encoding

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hls811, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I've seen a few comments in threads here referring to better video encoding with the Penryn CPU's. I didn't see anything about that in the story that references the negligable performace increases though..

I understand that Penryn will really be faster for SSE4 enabled applications, Does a Penryn encode video faster than the Mermon CPU's?

I do alot of encoding using VisualHub to make my movie collection iPod Touch ready - would the Penryn save me any time?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The application needs to be optimized for SSE4.1 to take advantage of those instruction sets for noticeable gains.

I haven't found any information about VisualHub having those improvements, yet.

3. propropro macrumors regular

It would be interesting to make a list or something with the programs that we know will be optimized for SSE4 in future updates.
    Now, I don't know any mac application which supports SES4 :(

4. Hls811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Ok - so the video encoding program would need to be writtent o utilize the opptimizations, thats what I figured but the way I read it in the other thread made it seem like any and all video encoding would be faster right now.

Thanks!

5. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

THis isn't exactly what you're asking but all i know is that i finally can use handbrake. it's screaming fast.

Of course, that's compared to my PBG4 that would take 14 hours to do one movie.

I am quite happy with my upgrade :)