Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
I've seen a few comments in threads here referring to better video encoding with the Penryn CPU's. I didn't see anything about that in the story that references the negligable performace increases though..

I understand that Penryn will really be faster for SSE4 enabled applications, Does a Penryn encode video faster than the Mermon CPU's?

I do alot of encoding using VisualHub to make my movie collection iPod Touch ready - would the Penryn save me any time?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The application needs to be optimized for SSE4.1 to take advantage of those instruction sets for noticeable gains.

I haven't found any information about VisualHub having those improvements, yet.

propropro

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2004
Spain
It would be interesting to make a list or something with the programs that we know will be optimized for SSE4 in future updates.
Now, I don't know any mac application which supports SES4 :(

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
The application needs to be optimized for SSE4.1 to take advantage of those instruction sets for noticeable gains.

I haven't found any information about VisualHub having those improvements, yet.

Ok - so the video encoding program would need to be writtent o utilize the opptimizations, thats what I figured but the way I read it in the other thread made it seem like any and all video encoding would be faster right now.

Thanks!

latestmonkey

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2002
THis isn't exactly what you're asking but all i know is that i finally can use handbrake. it's screaming fast.

Of course, that's compared to my PBG4 that would take 14 hours to do one movie.

I am quite happy with my upgrade :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.