Penryn RAM upgrade to 6GB...for Windows 7?

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
California
Hey all, I know there are numerous threads about upgrading the MBP RAM on Early 2008 and later to 6GB and the affects on OS X, but what about Windows 7? Basically, I'm curious to know if upgrading from 4GB to 6GB would be worth it since I boot camp pretty frequently for gaming. With StarCraft 2, Civ V, and others, the RAM in Windows 7 would (should?) make any difference?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Most games are 32-bit so they cannot utilize more than ~3.3GB of RAM so there isn't really a need to make it 6GB as that would unlikely boost the performance

Comment

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
California
Most games are 32-bit so they cannot utilize more than ~3.3GB of RAM so there isn't really a need to make it 6GB as that would unlikely boost the performance
Ahhhh, that makes sense. I didn't think about that part of the equation (the most important part haha).

Yes, I do have Windows 7 x64 installed.

Comment

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
True the game itself may not utilize more but if you have other programs running that are sapping RAM and you only have 500mb-1gb free RAM then yes it would help in that respect.

Comment