Penryn vs SR Macbook Pro stability?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joko, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

I was hoping someone may give me some advice here.

I along with the thousands are waiting for the new MBP, but here in South Africa we only get them 3 weeks after release in U.S so it's probably still another month of waiting minimum for me.

SO, are there advantages of buying the now old SR MBP in terms of them having their 'kinks' worked out? Would they be more stable than if they featured a new processor such as penryn?

I know it's hard to answer exactly, but does anyone have experience with previous updated models?

This will be my first Macbook Pro! :)

2. JWest macrumors 6502

Hard to say, but it'll be my first MBP as well. Just get Apple Care with it and if it's at all "less stable" or has defects and such you'll be covered. That's what I'm doing.

3. ajx22 macrumors regular

The new Penryn CPU's are running on the same Santa Rosa platform - so stability shouldn't be an issue.

Once the chipset architecture is changed from Santa Rosa to the new Montevina platform; there could be a glitch or two; but still negligible (if at all).

Stability shouldn't be something you need worry about.

~ Aloha ~

4. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

Ok thanks for the replies, I wasn't aware that the Penryns would run on SR platform, I thought perhaps a bigger change to the actual hardware was coming with this update. Thanks

5. ajx22 macrumors regular

A little more basic info on the Penryn =
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_2#Penryn