Penrynn MBP RAM usage issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zgnoud, Mar 15, 2008.

1. zgnoud macrumors member

Hi guys, ive just installed a 4gb kingston ram kit into my new 15" highend penryn, and it works wonders. just a question though - i noticed that since i upgraded my ram, the "Wired" ram have jumped up from 300~low 400 on a clean system reboot, now im asking is this norma?l since mac osx only used 100~200 wired ram while i was on the stock 2gb apple ram.

From my understanding from multiple posts, Wired Ram is what the OSX use? and cant be changed? while the machine works really well i just want to see if can get that extra 200 wired ram back? getting accessed to as much ram as i can would definately make a differencewith some of my after effects projects. Thanks in advance

2. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

RAM usage

While I'm not sure about wired RAM, I would expect the operating system to use more RAM. The system is optimizing your experience based on available resources. In other words, the system is using the RAM to make things run more quickly. I wouldn't worry.

3. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

What you are seeing is normal - the operating system is just scaling itself to work better on 4 GB of RAM and is taking advantage of it. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

4. Area51Tazz macrumors member

5. phatcat macrumors regular

yup. it works the same way in vista. the more memory you have the more applications the OS runs in the background for improved performance.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

RAM in OS X works differently than Windows.

In OS X, an app will take up as much RAM as it needs, but when another app needs the RAM, the former will give the excess.