Penryns HP Workstation Review, (yeah! mac pro!)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jrlcopy, Dec 28, 2007.

1. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yeah, You also kind of screwed up the title too I think you mean't HP Workstation (penryn) Review.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Price of the HP makes me think that the 2499 model isn't going to be a 2.83 Octo.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

HP's prices have always been alot more than Apple. An xw8400 with the current base mac pro specs costs $3,500.

5. timestamp macrumors 6502

Apple seemed to get the 2.66 Woodcrest model for nearly a $1000 cheaper than a similar Dell back in 2006. I don't think they will have any problem repeating that.

6. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

The speedup in Cinebench is only 5,7x! Why doesen't cinebench get more out of eight cores? Is raytracing not as scalable as I thought?

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Most likely the processors starving for bandwidth. Remember they are still each connected with a 1.333Mhz Front Side Bus that 4 cores share.

Nehalem will do away with that later this year.

8. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

Are you going to get a Nehalem Mac Pro?

9. steelski macrumors newbie

This is where the AMD architecture starts to look not so silly in the opterons. The new ones show almost perfect scalability. Stil a tad slower but by mid next year I dont think there will be much of a differance.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

At this rate it may first come in a year, so I think I will gladly accept the Penryn Mac Pro as a stop gap ;)

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

By mid next year Intel will be way ahead of AMD. They (AMD) have publically stated that there will be no new investments (R&D) in the whole year of 2008 to cut losses.

It's Phenom and only slow Phenoms to boot. Just to add salt to injury. Some will be quad-cores and others will be tri-core but the majority will be dual-core.

Nehalem will be "8-core" in some aspect because it includes HyperThreading again. Penryn is already faster clock for clock compared to Phenom (K10) and by the time Intel have implemented the memory controller onboard it will be much faster.

12. peejack macrumors 6502a

Haha amen to that bro ;)

13. jwt macrumors 6502

Interesting. I have to say, when Apple chose to partner with Intel over AMD, I thought they were fools, given the lead AMD had over Intel at the time of the announcement. By the time the Mac Pros were out, it was clear that Intel was kicking AMD's butt. Now there's no contest and AMD's future isn't even clear at this point. Glad Apple went with Intel.

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You don't have to be some kind of wizard or being able to read signs. Intel has a clear road map of what products to expect when. AMD failed doing the same and does not have the same amount of money to burn on R & D. The choice was obvious, especially at the time of the transition.