Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
I wouldn't trust the cheapies. Get the Wiha.

In post #24 I provided a link to eBay showing several different places to get the Wiha kit recommended above.

How are those "cheapies"?

If I buy from a non-Amazon source that is reputable, a Wihu screwdriver kit should be a Wiha screwdriver kit!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
In post #24 I provided a link to eBay showing several different places to get the Wiha kit recommended above.

How are those "cheapies"?

If I buy from a non-Amazon source that is reputable, a Wihu screwdriver kit should be a Wiha screwdriver kit!

There are lots of knock-offs or generic stuff marked under a well-known brand name on ebay and amazon. I haven't personally experienced this with electronics tools, but I do know folks that have received fake Snap-On automotive tools from Amazon or ebay.

Those links could very well be for the authentic product, or maybe not. You don't know. This is why I would buy direct from ifixit's website.
[doublepost=1478887631][/doublepost]I should add that I think there it also depends on your use. If you plan on using this tool just once or twice, get the cheapest cheapo one and throw it out when you're done. If you plan on using it many times, saving a few bucks isn't worth it and buy it direct from the manufacturer. Personally, I have never regretted buying a quality tool.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
@TEXAStOAST

You have misinterpreted my post. When I went to the link you provided I found a number of $1 and $2 screwdrivers that did not purport to be Wiha. I was just recommending you stick to the Wiha screwdrivers in that link and not the $1 and $2 non-Wiha screwdrivers.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Wiha tool owner chiming in. I like their small tools, while choosing SK Tools and Gedore for my larger/automotive needs. With Wiha's tools I go straight for the ESD bit kits, owning one of these for home: http://www.wihatools.com/master-tec...e-mini-ratchet-microbits-in-metal-storage-box - and one of these for my office: http://www.wihatools.com/esd-safe-torquevario-s-newton-meter-pentalobe-set (the torque wrench comes in handy). The former is on sale at their US site; no personal affiliation, just like their tools. Even the replaceable bits are made in Germany, and replacements are readily available.

Personally, I avoid tools from China. I've bought some, then sent them out for chemical testing of the handles and tool ends - cadmium in the metal and plastics and organotins in the plastic handles, but didn't test for PVC (the manufacturing of which dioxin is often a byproduct of manufacturing of PVC). Getting hits on cadmium and organotins was enough for me. My first internship was in a huge machine shop and those two compounds were banned, workers were getting sick, and I worked in the regulatory group. Ugh, nasty stuff.

Texas_Toast

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 6, 2016
Texas
There are lots of knock-offs or generic stuff marked under a well-known brand name on ebay and amazon. I haven't personally experienced this with electronics tools, but I do know folks that have received fake Snap-On automotive tools from Amazon or ebay.

Those links could very well be for the authentic product, or maybe not. You don't know. This is why I would buy direct from ifixit's website.
[doublepost=1478887631][/doublepost]I should add that I think there it also depends on your use. If you plan on using this tool just once or twice, get the cheapest cheapo one and throw it out when you're done. If you plan on using it many times, saving a few bucks isn't worth it and buy it direct from the manufacturer. Personally, I have never regretted buying a quality tool.

As mentioned before, I'm quite mad at ifixit.

I thought Wiha was it's own company? Can't I buy directly from them?
[doublepost=1478895662][/doublepost]
@TEXAStOAST

You have misinterpreted my post. When I went to the link you provided I found a number of $1 and $2 screwdrivers that did not purport to be Wiha. I was just recommending you stick to the Wiha screwdrivers in that link and not the $1 and $2 non-Wiha screwdrivers.

Okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.