Pentax K200d and Aperture 2.1

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rdp5008, Jul 22, 2008.

1. rdp5008 macrumors regular

rdp5008

Hey everyone.

I have a new Pentax K200d and I am trying to load the raw (.pef) files into Aperture 2.1. I have updated Aperture so it is supposed to support raw files from the K200d. When I try to import the files into Aperture from my camera I can see the thumbnails, but for each file it says "Unsupported Image Format" against a maroon background.

Anyone have this issue? I am pretty bummed that my new camera and new software aren't playing nice.

2. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Do you have any pending OSX updates? The RAW file converter is related to OSX, not Aperture afaik.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

One more thing to check is that you've selected the 2.1 raw engine. Aperture allows you to select that or any of the older ones. You do need the a recent version of Leopard if you want to use the 2.1 engine it will not work with Tiger.

4. rdp5008 thread starter macrumors regular

rdp5008

Have updated OSX to 10.4.11

Is the raw support only applicable to Leopard 10.5?

5. jpfisher macrumors regular

Can you set the K200D to shoot DNG instead of PEF? I know the K10D supports this, and it should fix the issue.

6. rdp5008 thread starter macrumors regular

rdp5008

I can switch the RAW output to .DNG instead of .PEF

However, I thought .PEF takes up less space and is the preferred RAW format for Pentax. I have read on Apple and Penatx forums that people have been able to import .PEF files from Pentax K200d (and other models).

Hmm...

7. rdp5008 thread starter macrumors regular

rdp5008

Okay, I lied. I didn't install the new iLife update (because I don't have iLife on this computer) and I just did and that seemed to fix the issue! I don't know why that would do it, but it did.

Thanks for the responses, I'll keep you posted if any new issues arise.