Pentax MF Prime Recommendations for the Sony NEX system

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by carbonmotion, May 22, 2013.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I'm running a NEX-3 with plans to upgrade to a NEX-6 this year. I'd like some recommendations on MF Primes. I do travel photography, event photography, model photography, and timelapse and brochure video work. In addition to the e-mount 18-55mm kit lens and e-mount 35mm prime, I'm thinking about getting a Pentax MF 50mm f/1.4 (portraits) and Pentax MF 135mm f/2.5 (sniping at events). What do you guys think?

Background Story
    Ever since I started shooting in high school, I obsessed about getting a full frame DSLR. Eventually, I got the Nikon D700 + D200 and a collection of niceish glass to go with them. For a long time, I had ran a modeling and wedding photography side gig and those cameras served me well. Since getting the NEX, I've been selling my Nikon gear off and all I have left is a Nikkor 50 F/1.8 and some mid-range zooms.

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I can't really help your pentax issue but I can seriously recommend MF lenses especially if you feel like you are upto the challenge.

I borrowed a friends Leica R 35mm f/2 the past weekend and it worked like a dream on my 6D.

I'm also planning on getting a Hasselblad to EOS adapter to put some of my old hasselblad lenses on there as well.

It's really refreshing to have a focus throw that isn't a few cm between close focus and infinity and the contrast from the Leica was great!

3. twitch31 macrumors regular

I own a lot of Pentax lenses :)

I'm going to recommend the SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.2 if you can afford it, an amazing lens, otherwise any of the 50mm f/1.4 lenses (K, M or A).

4. TheReef, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Pentax have a bucket load of terrific primes, many oldies still outperforming thousand dollar pro zoom lenses of today.

You're going to want to look out for the M and K series lenses.

The newer A series lenses are also manual focus, but have electronic aperture communication with the Pentax bodies (useless for you) so these lenses will cost more in comparison to the M and K series.

Pentaxforums have a great database of just about ever Pentax lens ever made including user reviews.

M Series Primes Database and user reviews

K Series Primes Database and user reviews

I agree with twitch31, the 50mm f/1.4 is a great lens. Stopped down to f/5.6 it's razor sharp. You can view the image at 100% and almost not realise you're looking at a crop.

I've never been lucky enough to own or use the A Series 50mm f/1.2 as twitch31 recommends but it looks great!

The 135mm f/2.5 seems to rate well with users as well, the only problem I see with it being used for "event sniping" is nailing focus with that very shallow depth of field and constantly moving subjects.

5. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Buy Nikon, Canon or Minolta. I use Pentax and don't want you and others driving up the prices for older Pentax lenses.

6. dmax35 macrumors 6502

How does he drive up the price, if he buys Pentax?

7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

More demand for manual Pentax lenses increases their price.

8. runlsd macrumors 6502

runlsd

don't forget m42

good suggestions so far. don't forget the m42 lenses. I have a m42 to NEX adaptor that works well. m42 lenses are cheap and there are some winners out there.

pentax forums has a lens review section with many user reviews on their manual primes.

9. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion