Peopl cannot hear me during phone calls

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xbanzai89, May 18, 2012.

1. xbanzai89 macrumors newbie

A few days ago I spilled some liquid into the speaker of my iPhone 4. Since then I have been unable to get people able to hear me during phone calls. However during speaker phone I can get people to hear me. I'm guessing I killed something from the spill. Any ideas what is going and if I can have someone fix this?

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Speak up, son! Seriously, though - water damage my kill you in this case. From the experiences I've heard, Apple isn't very lenient when the moisture indicator in the phone indicates water damage. Take it in and see what happens.

If you're mechanically inclined, you may be able to disassembe the phone and put it in uncooked rice to absorb the moisture - see if that works.

3. xbanzai89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought this back in Jan of 2011, so the warranty is up. I didn't buy any Applecare or something else for extended warranty.

I don't know if I trust myself taking this apart either.

Am I out of options here?

4. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Maybe - but it doesn't hurt to take it to Apple and see what they can do. If they won't replace it, you're no worse off than you are now. If they will - hey! you just caught yourself a break!

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They charge $150 for an out of warranty replacement at Apple.

6. xbanzai89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try the Apple store and see if I can get a replacement potentially. I'm not spending $150 on a replacement however. There is a upgrade on my mothers family pack I can use for something new.

Thanks for the help.

7. nephron8 macrumors regular

Till then you can use Bluetooth headset for all your calls.

8. xbanzai89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I am going to go to the Apple store today to get this checked. Yet I found something out today concerning this issue.

The liquid I spilled into the mic area was from a milkshake that got into that area I think. I was blowing on it a lot and I made a phone call. She was able to hear me, but it was low/muffled. You can also hear me blowing into it. I'm thinking the inside part of the mic is gunked up from the shake. The outside is totally clean.

Is it possible to clean the internal part of the mic?