People are on my network? Kick them?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by grosslyclever, Jan 6, 2010.

1. grosslyclever macrumors member

Hello,

I have found that people have been connecting to my wireless internet without my consent.

Is there a way I can kick them from my internet connection?

Thanks a bunch!
    - GC

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You need to secure it using WPA2, and a good complex password.

3. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

:eek:Um... Set Up a user name and password maybe? Or you could use mac address control? or Both?:)

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Mac address control is pointless. Just use a password-protected network. Why it's not already protected with a password is beyond me.

5. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Why do you say mac address control is pointless?

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

7. fergwad macrumors newbie

8. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Well if you are trying to get a dedicated team of hackers from accessing your home WiFi then fine - But I find that most people that try leeching are just opportunists and don't use hacking programs to leech.

But then again if we are going to recommend the anal route then lets be more comprehensive...

Use WPA encryption for your user name and password (And change it often and randomly)
    Use MAC Access Control
    Switch off DHCP and assign static IP addresses
    Check your router periodically to ensure that the Devises connected to your router are known and accepted, also make sure that your MAC Addresses are not being cloned by a hacker switch off all connections to the router and monitor the connections using a LAN cable... But hey who really has the time for all of this? :D:cool::eek::apple:

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If network security is a priority it's not an issue of "having" time- you "make" time for it. MAC access control and static IP addresses really only create headaches for legitimate users.

10. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Okay Miles01110, so please post your ideal security setup for a Home WiFi Network... I'm just trying to offer a practical solution and I'm sure you have one to share; so lets be positive.

11. fergwad macrumors newbie

Seemed pretty obvious to me. Whats left on your list is setting up a password. He also said that already in a previous post.

12. belvdr macrumors 603

I think the real point is that wireless encryption does not encrypt the MAC addresses. So, one only has to sniff the local airwaves to pick up an authorized MAC. In that case, using MAC address filtering really does nothing to stop anyone in their tracks.

Ultimately, use WPA2 with AES and a long complex password. It will take long enough to hack that someone just needing Internet access will pass you by.

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Additionally, as a tad bit of extra security, if the router supports it, you should schedule its usage and have it inactive at night when sleeping as well as when at work. This simply decreases the opportunity for someone to attack. Also, be sure to power the router down when away on vacation. The extent of security on wireless routers is usually limited unfortunately. Hopefully future ones will give more useful and practical features.

14. belvdr macrumors 603

That's not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of that one.

OT: Are you getting hit by the lake effect/snow belt weather?

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's already been offered. Pick a good password.

16. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Admittedly, I haven't implemented this myself, and not sure my router supports it.

I'm not north enough for the lake effect snow, but forecast calls for a few inches tomorrow. Think I'll work from home to escape the other drivers.

17. belvdr macrumors 603

I have two AEBS so I'll check to see if they can do that. At the very least, a router should support disabling Internet access for certain times. While it won't protect any LAN resources, it will steer some away.

I'm not in the belt either (near Akron), but one forecast says 3-5" and another says 1-3".

18. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

HAH! Since New Year's Day, we've had around 36".

19. belvdr macrumors 603

And you can keep it. I am in no way jealous of you. I want to move southward.