iPad Pro People are stealing demo pencils

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Xprmntr, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

This isn't news we've known this since day one. There's actually a thread on here about it.

2. Xprmntr thread starter macrumors member

Xprmntr

3. atomic.flip macrumors regular

atomic.flip

It was only a matter of time. Apple are foolish with their iPad Pro setups. They have security around the iPad but not the accessories, then they leave them AT THE FRONT of the store. I was waiting for someone to start doing this. (SMH)

4. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apple knows how to market products better than any other company.

Losing pencils to theft makes money for Apple.

Every pencil stolen is eligible to be written off on Apples taxes.

Make no mistake, Apple calculates every move they make very carefully. :D

6. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Whoever is stealing them should consider that these are bluetooth devices with a unique MAC address and when paired with the iPad Pro are capable of 'phoning home' to report their location. Fortunately for the thieves, Apple are big on privacy and are unlikely to track the Pencils but they could very easily disable stolen Pencils remotely without violating privacy.

So my advice to anyone buying a Pencil is to ensure you get it in original packaging and ideally from a reputable source.

Personally I like the fact that Apple are so trusting and don't have security cables on the accessories or ugly plastic security boxes wrapped round their hard drives etc like you see in the likes of PC World. I'd hate to see that change.