People Are Still Eating Bushmeat, Spreading Disease

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by quest7, Jan 12, 2012.

1. quest7 macrumors member

quest7

Well, it turns out people are still smuggling bushmeat—you know, tropical wild game like MONKEYS and BATS—into the country through JFK, and guess what? It's still dangerous to eat! Because it can spread diseases! And even if they're not deadly right now, they might be soon! Because it's happened before, with bushmeat and AIDS! Everybody freak out!

This potentially terrifying news comes courtesy of a new study called "Zoonotic Viruses Associated with Illegally Imported Wildlife Products," which tested animal parts—from baboons, chimpanzees, rats and more—confiscated by customs officials at JFK. Researchers from the Wildlife Conservation Society and the Museum of Natural History found evidence of simian foamy viruses and two types of herpes viruses in the parts, which, while not dangerous to humans on their own, show the potential to evolve into the next global pandemic. “Diseases such as HIV, Ebola, swine flu, avian flu and monkey pox all originated in wildlife," WCS researcher Dr. Denise McAloose said. "We don't know where the next disease like that might occur."

And, just to freak you out further, the study notes that 75 percent of emerging infectious diseases affecting people originate from contact with wildlife. So stop eating monkeys and maybe leave the squirrels and giant rats alone, okay?

http://gothamist.com/2012/01/12/people_are_still_eating_bushmeat_sp.php#photo-1

2. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OK, no more monkey burgers. Geez, and they were my favorite,too.

And you mean I have to give up bat meat, and those tasty giant rat steaks??!!:eek:

What am I going to eat now. All that stuff was the major part of my diet. If I have to give those goodies up, I'll probably starve to death.

Oh. well, there's always that delicious road kill possum in my freezer.

:rolleyes: :p

4. quest7 thread starter macrumors member

quest7

Monkey meat is not bad, if you slow cook it all day.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

*slowly pulls out*

What?!?! :eek: I was told monkeys have nothing to do with it. Only the gays and blacks got that.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Would sushi and sashimi qualify? :eek: :p

"People Are Still Eating Bushmeat, Spreading Disease" but that is a scary thought.

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Little Miss Bushmeat better git down the STD clinic and get herself tested pretty damn quick.

Sure it's nice to be eaten, we all like it, but a lady's gotta think of her reputation y'know?

8. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Darn it! And I was just about to serve up my famous capybara carpaccio with rhesus liver aioli! :p

9. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

lol classic.

While I'm not against game animals (Venicent is yummy) a little intelligence is necessary. Personally I wouldn't eat game that wasn't taken by someone I trust (i.e. someone who isn't going to take a Deer with obvious or just barely discernible Chronic Wasting Disease).

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Poor Venicent, I knew him well. Still, you are right, he was a fool, and not fully suited to eating. Though t'were better he were eaten now, then eaten later, when foolness is magnified upon age's foolhardiness.